- Staff Instructions
- You Wanted to Know ...
- Advisory Circulars
- Ultra-light Aeroplanes
- Flight Training Units
- Exemption 421.88
- Exemption 602.26
- Exemption 602.27
- Exemption 605.20
- Exemption 605.38
- Exemption 623.38
- Regional Offices
- Unmanned Air Vehicles (UAV)
Pursuant to subsection 5.9(2) of the Aeronautics Act, and after having taken into account that the exemption is both in the public interest and is not likely to affect aviation safety, I hereby exempt a person operating an aircraft for the purpose of conducting parachute descents, from the requirement set out in subsection 605.38(1) of the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs), subject to the following condition.
Subsection 605.38(1) stipulates that except where permitted in accordance with subsection 605.38(3), no person shall operate an aircraft unless it is equipped with one or more ELTs in accordance with subsection 605.38(2).
The purpose of this exemption is to allow persons operating an aircraft for the purpose of conducting parachute descents to operate an aircraft without an ELT on board.
This exemption applies to aircraft operated for the purpose of conducting parachute descents.
This exemption is subject to the following condition:
1. The aircraft operated for the purpose of conducting parachute descents shall be within 25 nautical miles of the aerodrome of departure.
This exemption is in effect until the earliest of the following:
- the date on which an amendment to the appropriate provisions of the Canadian Aviation Regulations comes into effect;
- the date on which the condition set out in this exemption is breached; or
- the date on which this exemption is cancelled, in writing, by the Minister where he is of the opinion that it is no longer in the public interest, or that it is likely to affect aviation safety.
Dated at Ottawa, Canada, this 7th day of September, 2001 on behalf of the Minister of Transport.
Original signed by