CANADIAN AVIATION REGULATIONS
Pursuant to subsection 5.9(2) of the Aeronautics Act and after taking into account that the exemption is in the public interest and is not likely to affect aviation safety, I hereby exempt Canadian air operators under contract to provide MEDEVAC services operating under subparts 3, 4 or 5 of Part VII of the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs) and their flight crew members, from the application of subsection 700.16(1), subject to the following conditions.
Subsection 700.16(1) indicates that no air operator shall assign a flight crew member for flight duty time, and no flight crew member shall accept such an assignment, if the flight crew member's flight duty time will, as a result, exceed 14 consecutive hours in any 24 consecutive hours.
The purpose of this exemption is to allow Canadian air operators under contract to provide MEDEVAC services to extend the flight duty time of a flight crew member to 17 hours when required to save human life and their flight crew members to accept such assignment.
This exemption applies to all Canadian air operators providing MEDEVAC services under pre‑arranged contract and to their flight crew members.
This exemption is subject to the following conditions:
- This exemption shall not be used in conjunction with the exemption from Subsections 700.16(3) and (4) of the CARs;
- The flight is required to save human life based on the best assessment available;
- The pilot-in-command shall not conduct the flight unless, after consultation with other flight crew members, he or she considers it safe to do so;
- Flight duty time shall not be extended beyond the minimum required to transport the patient(s) to the first location where appropriate medical treatment can be rendered;
- The flight crew members shall not commence a flight following the disembarkation of the patient(s) until they have obtained the rest period specified in condition 6;
- Where the flight duty time is extended, the subsequent minimum rest period shall be increased by an amount at least equal to the extension to the flight duty time; and
- The air operator shall notify the Transport Canada Principal Operations Inspector within 24 hours of the circumstances regarding the extension of flight duty.
This exemption will become effective on July 1, 2007 at 00:01 EDT, and will remain in effect until the earliest of the following:
- the date on which an amendment modifying the subject matter of subsection 700.16(1) of the CARs addressed specifically in this exemption, comes into affect;
- the date on which any condition set out in this exemption is breached; or
- the date on which this exemption is cancelled, in writing, by the Minister, where he is of the opinion it is no longer in the public interest or is likely to affect aviation safety.
Dated at Ottawa, Ontario, Canada this 30th day of May, 2007, on behalf of the Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities.
Original signed by
- Date de modification :