Date (Y-M-D): 1984-04-24
Subject: Use of portable venturi-type blower or exhaust units in non gas-free atmospheres
- The following warning is for the immediate attention of all owners and operators.
- A preliminary investigation has been held by USCG covering the explosion and subsequent sinking of the S.S. American Eagle in the Gulf of Mexico on 26th February 1984.
- Due to the possible generation of electrostatic charges, extreme caution should be exercised in using portable venturi-type blower or exhaust units in the blower mode. Particularly when using steam to ventilate tanks that have not been gas-freed.
- The use of a plastic sleeve attached to the subject unit may further aggravate the possibility of static charge release.
- The hazards of introducing steam into a non gas-free atmosphere are well known and described in the International Safety Guide for Tankers and Terminals. ( ISGOTT )
Keywords: Questions concerning this bulletin should be addressed to:
3. Gas Fire
Tower C, Place de Ville
11th Floor, 330 Sparks Street
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0N8
To add or change your address, contact us at: email@example.com
Owners of commercial vessels, registered and licensed, automatically receive Bulletins.