RDIMS No.: 3642844
Date (Y-M-D): 2007-12-07
Subject: Security Clearance Enrolment Process for Seafarers
This bulletin provides information with respect to the enrolment process for seafarers requesting a security clearance.
Transport Canada Marine Safety ( TCMS ) will be sponsoring and enrolling seafarers voluntarily applying for a security clearance.
Part 5, Section 503 of the Marine Transportation Security Regulation identifies the requirement to be a holder of a security clearance when accessing restricted areas (R2) of designated ports.
The Marine Transportation Security Clearance Program is being implemented using a phased approach:
- Phase I on December 15, 2007 with the ports of Vancouver, North Fraser, Fraser River, Montreal, Seaway (St. Lambert and Welland) and Halifax
- Phase II on December 15, 2008 with the ports of St. John’s, Saint John, Quebec, Toronto, Hamilton, Windsor, Prince Rupert and Victoria.
TCMS offices located in Vancouver ( BC ), St. Catharines ( ON ), Montreal ( QC ), Dartmouth ( NS ) and St. John’s ( NL ) will be processing seafarer applications for a ‘Transportation Security Clearance’. TCMS will sponsor seafarers, and on behalf of the Minister, will enrol seafarers voluntarily applying for a security clearance.
Seafarers applying for a security clearance will simultaneously apply for an updated Seafarers’ Identity Document ( SID ).
The security clearance and the SID will be issued with a synchronized expiry date of five years based on the date of granting of the security clearance.
Application for Transportation Security Clearance
- Seafarers are encouraged to apply for a security clearance at one of the enrolment sites named below.
- The application form is available at the following Transport Canada website: http://www.tc.gc.ca/tsc. This is a user-friendly application process that ensures that the applicant provides all required information before the completed application can be printed. NOTE: It is recommended to use this application process.
- The application form in hard copy is also available at all TCMS offices.
- An appointment should be scheduled with the enrolment site.
- The completed application form and supporting documentation must be taken to one of the enrolment sites for sign-off by sponsor and applicant enrolment.
Supporting Documentation Required for Enrolment
- federal or provincial government issued photo identification document
- passport (current or invalid, if indicated as “yes” on the application);
- persons born in Canada – a Canadian Birth Certificate;
- persons born outside of Canada – a Certificate of Citizenship, a Certificate of Naturalization or a Permanent Resident Card
800 Burrard Street, Suite 400
Tel : 604-666-0834
Fax : 604-666-9177
43 Church Street, 7th Floor
St. Catharines, ON
800 René-Lévesque Blvd Ouest, Suite 620
Tel : 514-283-7056
Fax : 514-283-6595
45 Alderney Street
Queen Square, 14th floor
10 Barter’s Hill, 9th Floor
Cabot Building, 2nd Tower, PO Box 1300
St. John’s, NL
Seafarer Identity Document ( SID )
A SID issued in conformity with the “International Labour Convention No. 108 (C-108), Convention on Seafarers’ Identity Documents ( SID )”, will include a uniquely identifiable control number distinguishing a security clearance, where applicable.
The SID will be issued once the security clearance has been granted.
Additional Documentation Required to Issue an Updated SID
- two (2) passport photos (maximum size of 11/4” w x 11/2” h) bearing the applicant’s signature
- proof of authenticated employment if the applicant has not been issued with a Canadian Maritime Document (ie. Certificate of Competency, Discharge Book, or SID ).
NOTE: Proof of employment will be a letter, on company letterhead, signed by the authorized representative of the vessel, a seafarer recruitment and placement service or a seafarer’s union stating that an offer of employment has been made.
Security Clearance – There will be no fee associated with the “Application for Transportation Security Clearance”.
SID – $20 fee for the issuance of a SID , as established under the “Tariff of Fees for Shipping Masters” applies.
To access the Portable Document Format ( PDF ) version you must have a PDF reader installed. If you do not already have such a reader, there are numerous PDF readers available for free download or for purchase on the Internet:
Keywords: Questions concerning this bulletin should be addressed to:
2. Security Clearance Enrolment Process
3. Seafarer's Identity Document ( SID )
Tower C, Place de Ville
11th Floor, 330 Sparks Street
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0N8
To add or change your address, contact us at: email@example.com
Owners of commercial vessels, registered and licensed, automatically receive Bulletins.