- Marine Safety and Security
- Group 1: Service Standards for Pleasure Craft
- Group 2: Service Standards for Cargo and Port State Control Inspections
- Group 3: Service Standards for Marine Personnel Programs
- Group 4: Service Standards for Navigable Waters Protection Program
- Group 5: Service Standards for vessel registration, inspection and certification
- Vessel Registry has centralized and registry services have now been transferred to Ottawa. As part of the centralization, Vessel Registry is undertaking a review of its Service Standards and business processes to seek further efficiencies.
- During this interim period, Vessel Registry services will continue to serve its clients on a first-come first-served basis.
- Vessel Registry is undertaking a review of its Service Standards. During this interim period, Vessel Registry services will continue to serve its clients on a first-come first-served basis; however, every effort is made to abide by the Service Standards prior to Centralization. Below you will find the list of registry services and their performance targets.
Performance target: The target for achieving these standards is set at 75%.
LARGE VESSEL REGISTRY
SERVICE STANDARDS AND PERFORMANCE TARGET
(in working days)
|2 DAYS||5 DAYS||10 DAYS||15 DAYS||30 DAYS|
Issuance of Provisional Certificate
*New priority – June 2013
Issuance of a Deletion Certificate
Replacement of a Certificate of Registry
Temporary Recording of a vessel
Transfer of Ownership
Amendment of Register or CoR
Amendment/ CoR due to Transfer of Port
Issuance of a CoR due to change of name of Vessel
**Small Vessel Registry has a Service Standard of 45 days for their 1st Registration
|Transcript (certified and uncertified) within 2 working days.||95%||70%||N/A|
|Issuance of Provisional certificate within 2 working days.||95%||95%||N/A|
|Registration of the Builder's Certificate within 5 working days.||95%||44%||N/A|
|Mortgages - Transmission of mortgagee within 5 working days.||95%||100%||N/A|
|Mortgages - Recording change to priorities of mortgages within 5 working days.||95%||76%||N/A|
|Mortgages - Transfer - recorded builder's mortgage and registered mortgage within 5 working days.||95%||63%||N/A|
|Mortgages - Registration/Discharge of Mortgage/Assignment within 5 working days.||95%||79%||N/A|
|Issuance of a Deletion Certificate within 5 working days.||95%||73%||N/A|
|Replacement of a Certificate of Registry within 5 working days.||95%||56%||N/A|
|Bareboat - Registry of bare-boat charter within 5 working days.||95%||100%||N/A|
|Bareboat - Suspension of Canadian registration (Bare-Boat Charter) within 5 working days.||95%||100%||N/A|
|Bareboat - Reinstatement of Canadian registration after suspension within 5 working days.||95%||100%||N/A|
|Temporary Recording of a vessel within 10 working days.||95%||85%||N/A|
|Transfer of Ownership within 15 working days.||75%||39%||N/A|
|Amendment of Register of CoR within 15 working days.||75%||43%||N/A|
|Amendment/CoR due to transfer of port within 15 working days.||75%||80%||N/A|
|Amendment/CoR due to change of name vessel within 15 working days.||75%||40%||N/A|
|Initial registration within 30 working days.||75%||44%||N/A|
|Re-registration within 30 working days.||75%||48%||N/A|
|Small Vessel Registry initial registration within 45 working days.||75%||90%||80%|
Transport Canada is currently investing in an on-line system that will strengthen oversight and management capabilities within Marine Safety and Security. With this integrated system, Vessel Registry will better be able to capture performance results against the documented service standards. This new system will consolidate the registration for the Small and Large Vessel Registration program. The first phase of on-line capability for the Vessel Registry program is scheduled to take place by approximately mid-2016.
Under the federal government’s Strategic Operational Review (SOR) initiative, Vessel Registry was centralized from the regions to Ottawa in 2013. The SOR initiative resulted in an almost 50% reduction of staff and the relocation of services led to the necessity of recruiting and training new staff within the NCR The centralization of services, in addition to the large volume of transactions, the addition of a 1-877 toll-free line and an e-inquiries website has resulted in backlogs.
The overall target for achieving service standards in 2015 is set at 75%.
Annual service standard performance information for the 2015-2016 fiscal year will be published no later than June 2016.
Applying for/more information:
Please refer to the Vessel Registry web site at http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/oep-vesselreg-registration-menu-2311.htm.
Toll-free (in North America): 1-877-242-8770.
For more information:
- Vessel Registration Office
- Inspection and Operations Standards
- Government-Wide Forward Regulatory Plans
- Cabinet Directive on Regulatory Management
- Red Tape Reduction Action Plan
- Canada–United States Regulatory Cooperation Council
- Regulatory Services and Quality Assurance
- Contacting Marine Safety