The public Education and Awareness (E&A) is one of two component of Transport Canada's Rail Safety Improvement Program (RSIP) which funds activities aimed at reducing railway grade crossing collisions and trespassing incidents on railway property, particularly in high-risk areas.
The RSIP E&A component funds projects that:
- Raise public awareness and understanding of the potential hazards of road/railway grade crossings and the danger associated with trespassing on railway property;
- Support research that contributes to a better understanding of behaviour, attitudes and the impact of rail safety issues; and,
- Support the development of training curricula to build the capacity to response to incidents related to dangerous goods transported by rail
Eligibility for funding
Eligible recipients include:
- Provinces, territories, municipalities, and local and regional governments;
- Road and transit authorities;
- Crown Corporations (including VIA Rail);
- For-profit ;
- Not-for-profit organizations;
- Indigenous groups, communities and organizations;
- First Nations communities; and,
Transport Canada will reimburse the cost of activities and research that increase public awareness of:
- Rail safety awareness issues; and,
- Behaviours, attitudes and issues related to rail safety
For example, costs eligible for reimbursement could include:
- Professional fees for contracted services;
- Communication materials costs;
- Travel costs;
- Administrative costs; and,
- Facility costs
For detailed information about eligible costs, refer to the applicant's guide.
A total of $1,300,000 million is available for disbursement under RSIP E&A
The maximum value of any one project should not exceed $1 million annually.
RSIP E&A will reimburse recipients up to fifty per-cent (50%) of eligible expenditures for proposed projects or completed projects
How to Apply
Your application must be complete, accurate, and comprehensive.
Read the applicant's guide in full before you apply.
To apply for RSIP E&A funding:
- Use the RSIP-E&A project proposal template and project budget and cash flow templates to create your application;
- Sign your application; and,
- Submit your application electronically or by courier:
Electronically to email@example.com; an electronic application package must be in MS Word, MS Excel or PDF format (if an application is submitted electronically, please do not submit hard copies by mail)
By courier to the postal address below, and must be received in this office by the application deadline:
ATTN: Director, Transportation and Infrastructure Program (AHSE)
330 Sparks Street, Place de Ville, Tower C, 19th Floor
Ottawa ON K1A 0N5
Note: The RSIP E&A component’s call for proposals is now closed.
RSIP E&A will confirm receipt of all application packages.