It is important to keep your knowledge and skills up to date once you have obtained your pilot certificate.
Before operating a drone, you must have completed one of the following within the previous 24 months:
- Re-taking and passing either:
- the Small Basic Exam
- the Small Advanced Exam
- Successfully passing a flight review
- Completing any one of the following training activities:
- attendance at a safety seminar endorsed by Transport Canada Civil Aviation
- completion of an drone recurrent training program from a drone flight school
- completion of a Transport Canada endorsed self-paced study program
Your pilot certificate does not expire, but you must be able to show proof of completion of one of these activities whenever you fly.
Drone pilots must carry a valid drone pilot certificate at all times while operating their drone. A valid drone pilot certificate is a printed or electronic document issued by Transport Canada. No other form of certification will be accepted.