On this page
- Temporary certificates that will not be renewed
- Compliance with the TDG Act and Regulations
- Contact us
Due to restrictions in place following the declaration of the COVID-19 pandemic outbreak, and pursuant to subsection 31(2.1) of the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Act, 1992 (TDG Act), Transport Canada issued six (6) temporary certificates to mitigate negative impacts on stakeholders. Five (5) of the six (6) temporary certificates were set to expire on September 30, 2020, but have been renewed to January 31, 2021.
Temporary certificates that will not be renewed
This communication is intended to remind stakeholders that the following temporary certificates will not be renewed beyond January 31, 2021:
- TU 0750.1: Training
Note: This temporary certificate allows individuals who had been trained and held valid training certificates on March 1, 2020, to continue handling, offering for transport, or transporting dangerous goods with expired training certificates.
- TU 0751.2: Testing and inspection requirements
Note: This temporary certificate allows for the use of certain means of containment (MOCs) that do not comply with testing and inspection requirements under the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations (TDG Regulations). In order to use the certificate, the inspection and test marks must have been valid on:
- February 28, 2019, for cylinders, spheres, tubes, UN pressure receptacles, multi-element gas containers, and other pressure receptacles for dangerous goods included in Classes 2.1 and 2.2
- February 29, 2020, for other MOCs except rail tank cars
To ensure compliance with the TDG Regulations, stakeholders must address any existing gaps with TDG Regulations before January 31, 2021. This may include:
- ensuring that all employees are trained as per the TDG Regulations and hold a valid training certificate
- ensuring that all MOCs used to transport dangerous goods have been tested and inspected in accordance with relevant standards and display current and valid inspection and test markings
Compliance with the TDG Act and Regulations
Should you have any additional questions or require more information on the temporary COVID-19 certificates, please contact the Approvals and Special Regulatory Projects Division.
For questions about the TDG Regulations, contact your local Transport Canada regional office:
Prairie and Northern Region
Expiration of COVID-19 temporary certificates
(PDF, 149 KB)