Since the Airports Capital Assistance Program started in 1995, the Government of Canada has invested over $1.25 billion for 1,239 projects at 201 local, regional and National Airports System airports across the country.
In addition to supporting personal travel and tourism, smaller regional airports provide:
- essential air services, including air ambulance, search and rescue, and forest fire response
- scheduled and charter air services that link communities to regional, national, and international markets for goods and services
- commercial air services (for example, aerial photography and flying schools)
- corporate aircraft and general aviation
Although regional airports play an essential role in Canada’s air transportation sector, they can struggle to raise enough revenue for operations. The program addresses this issue by funding projects that:
- improve regional airport safety
- protect airport assets (such as equipment and runways)
- reduce operating costs
If you have questions about this program, contact us by email or mail.
Executive Director, Operations and Authorities Stewardship
330 Sparks Street
Place de Ville, Tower C