An aviation security incident is an actual, attempted, threatened or suspected unlawful act, which would cause an interference, breach or malfunction of the civil aviation security system.
Examples of security incidents include hijackings, explosions, discovery of weapons and specific threats. For more information, see the Canadian Aviation Security Regulations, 2012.
How to report an aviation security incident
If an aviation security incident has occurred:
- Notify emergency responders such as police, fire and ambulance services.
- Report the incident immediately after to the Transport Canada Situation Centre by phone or fax, or using our online Incident Report Form [PDF, 615 KB].
Incidents you are required to report
The Canadian Aviation Security Regulations, 2012 require aerodrome operators to report:
- Discovery of a weapon at the aerodrome
- Discovery of an explosive substance or incendiary device at the aerodrome
- Explosion at an aerodrome, unless it is known to be the result of:
- Accident or excavation
- Specific threat against an aerodrome
- Security incident involving a police officer anywhere at the aerodrome other than areas under an air carrier's control
The Canadian Aviation Security Regulations, 2012 require air carriers to report:
- Discovery of a hijacking or attempted hijacking
- Discovery of a weapon on board aircraft
- Discovery of an explosive substance or incendiary device onboard an aircraft
- Explosion on an aircraft, unless you know it was an accident
- Specific threat against:
- A flight
- Your facility
- Any part of an aerodrome under your control
Contact Transport Canada's Situation Centre
In an emergency, 24 hours a day, seven days per week:
Telephone: 1-888-857-4003 (toll free)
Telephone: (613) 995-9737 (Ottawa)
Fax: (613) 996-9439
You may also fill out an online Incident Reporting form [PDF, 615 KB].
- Security Incident Report Form [PDF, 615 KB]
- Report an incident affecting airport or aerodrome safety
- Transportation Safety Board of Canada (official source of accident and incident data)