The Emergency Response Guidebook 2024 and mobile application will be available in Spring 2024. Pre-order your ERG 2024 today!
The Emergency Response Guidebook was developed by Transport Canada, the US Department of Transportation and the Secretariat of Transport and Communications of Mexico, with help from the Centro de Informaciòn Quìmica para Emergencias of Argentina.
This guidebook is for firefighters, police, and other emergency responders who are often the first to arrive at a transportation incident involving dangerous goods.
This guide will help first responders:
- identify hazards based on the material involved in a transportation incident
- protect themselves and the public during the initial response to an incident
This guide is designed for dangerous goods incidents on a highway or rail line. It may be less useful at fixed-facility locations, on aircrafts or vessels.
This guide does not:
- include information on the physical or chemical properties of dangerous goods
- replace emergency response training, knowledge, and good judgment
- address every possible factor related to a dangerous goods incident
Take the time to read the guidebook before using it in an emergency!
On this page
- Get a copy of the 2020 Emergency Response Guidebook
- Notes on the 2020 edition
- Training resources
Get a copy of the 2020 Emergency Response Guidebook
- Get a printed copy of the 2020 guidebook
- Download the mobile app version of the 2020 guidebook
- Download the 2020 guidebook's desktop software
- Access the web version of the 2020 guidebook
- Download the PDF version of the 2020 guidebook
Notes on the 2020 edition
- Get a copy of the 2020 training package
- Video overview of the 2020 Emergency Response Guidebook
- Understanding the Emergency Response Guidebook
We welcome your questions or feedback, especially comments about using the guidebook for incidents that involve dangerous goods. Please send feedback to:
Transportation of Dangerous Goods
Place de Ville, Tower C
Suite 1403 - 330 Sparks St
Ottawa, ON K1A 0N5