FAQ on Containers for Explosives (Class 1) and Mobile Process Units (MPU)

How do I select and use dangerous goods containers for Explosives (Class 1)?

The selection and use of dangerous goods containers for explosives must be done in accordance with the Standard CGSB-43.151Packaging, handling, offering for transport and transport of Explosives (Class 1).

How do I determine if I need Competent Authority Approval?

Competent Authority Approval is required if the assigned packaging instruction is EP01 or if you choose to use packaging instruction EP01 for explosives covered by the Standard CGSB-43.151Packaging, handling, offering for transport and transport of Explosives (Class 1).

How do I obtain Competent Authority Approval?

In order to obtain competent authority approval, you must complete an application and apply for the approval. Applications for approval must be submitted to tdgapprovals-approbationstmd@tc.gc.ca.

The following information is required to complete the application:

  1. if the applicant is an individual, the name of the individual;
  2. if the applicant is a company or an association, the name of the company or association and each association member, as the names appear in letters patent, articles of incorporation or any other document that shows the legal identity of the company or the association and each association member;
  3. the address of the place of business of the applicant;
  4. the telephone number, including the area code, and, if applicable, the electronic mailing address and the facsimile number of the applicant;
  5. if a person submits an application on behalf of a company or an association, the person's name and position and the telephone number, including the area code, and address of the person's place of business
  6. the Notice of Authorization issued by the Explosives Regulatory Division (ERD) of Natural Resources Canada (NRCan);
  7. the classification of the dangerous goods and, if the dangerous goods are in a solution or mixture, the composition and percentage (specified by volume, mass or net explosives quantity) of each chemical;
  8. the method of packaging the dangerous goods, including a description of the means of containment and the quantity of dangerous goods in each means of containment;
  9. whether the approval is requested for transport by road vehicle, railway vehicle, aircraft or ship;
  10. drawings, plans, calculations, procedures, test results and any other information necessary to support the proposal;
  11. the length of time or the schedule of activities for which the competent authority approval is requested; and
  12. the name, position and business telephone number, including the area code, of the person who can be contacted regarding the application for a competent authority approval and who is authorized by the applicant to speak on the applicant's behalf.

How do I amend, renew or cancel my approval?

An approval can be amended or renewed by completing an application and applying for an amendment or a renewal with respect to your approval. Applications are available by contacting tdgapprovals-approbationstmd@tc.gc.ca.

In the event that registration is no longer required, submit written confirmation to MOCregister-Registrecontenant@tc.gc.ca confirming that the competent authority approval is no longer required and that all activities related to the approval have ceased.

On my MPU, what means of containment requirements do I need to follow?

Mobile Process Units (MPU) licensed under NRCan’s Explosives Regulations are subject to requirements of NRCan-ERD and Transport Canada-TDG. MPUs transport dangerous goods of different classes in both large (>450L) and small (≤450L) means of containment. All large means of containment must be standardized means of containment designed and constructed in accordance with the CSA B620 safety standard. Please note that UN IBCs are not intended to replace a permanently-mounted specification (i.e. coded) highway tank. Non-standardized small means of containment (≤450L) on MPUs, typically for gassing solutions that are classified as dangerous goods, are permitted only via a Transport Canada equivalency certificate, until the Special Case within CAN/CGSB-43.150-2020 comes into effect. To ensure the tanks on your MPU are in compliance with Transport Canada TDG Means of Containment Safety Standards, contact: TDGMOC-TMDContenants@tc.gc.ca

Where can I obtain more information?

For more information on applications for competent authority approvals:
TDG Approvals / Approbations TMD

For more information on matters pertaining to CGSB-43.151:

Technical inquiries:
Please include the text "Containers for Explosives" in the subject line.