- Back to the Containers home page
- Aerosol Containers and Gas Cartridges
- Cylinders, Spheres and Tubes
- UN cylinders, UN tubes, UN cryogenic receptacles, and multiple-element gas containers
- Tank Trucks and Trailers and TC Portable Tanks
- Containers for Infectious substances
- Railway Tank Cars and Ton Containers
- UN Small Means of Containment
- UN Portable Tanks
- Containers for Explosives (Class 1)
What is a Type P650 packaging?
A Type P650 Packaging (formerly referred to as a 1B container) is a packaging for the transport of certain infectious substances, as specified in the CAN/CGSB-43.125 standard. The construction and performance requirements for Type P650 Packaging are set out in CAN/CGSB-43.125 and are harmonized with Packing Instruction P650 of the UN Model Recommendations.
How do I identify a Type P650 packaging?
The marking required on the outer packaging of a Type P650 Packaging is specified in section 5.2 of the CAN/CGSB-43.125 standard. The marking is a diamond-shaped symbol with the text “UN3373”. This is considered to be a hybrid marking since it is already used as a dangerous goods safety mark in the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations representing Category B Infectious Substances.
Where can I get a Type P650 packaging?
What are the basic features of a Type P650 Packaging?
A Type P650 Packaging is a triple packaging system consisting of:
- (a) Inner packagings:
- leakproof or siftproof primary receptacle(s);
- leakproof or siftproof secondary packaging(s);
- (b) an outer packaging with at least one surface having minimum dimension of 100mm x 100mm.
Either the secondary packaging(s) or the outer packaging must be rigid.
What are the quality management system requirements for a Type P650 Packaging manufacturer?
A Type P650 Packaging manufacturer must have and maintain a quality management system for each facility manufacturing the packagings in accordance with section 9.2 of the Standard.
Must I register a Type P650 Packaging design?
No. A Type P650 Packaging design does not need to be registered with Transport Canada.
Where can I obtain more information?
Please include the text "Packaging for infectious substances" in the subject line.