The Transportation of Dangerous Goods Directorate has published the updated Transport Canada Standard TP 14877, Containers for Transport of Dangerous Goods by Rail, January 2018. The standard covers large means of containment used in the handling, offering for transport and transport of dangerous goods by rail.
On this page
- Coming into force
- Most notable changes
- Participating in the development of future editions of these standards
- Contact us
- Related links
Coming into force
The Regulations Amending the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations (Containers for Transport of Dangerous Goods by Rail) were published in Part II of the Canada Gazette on April 3, 2019 and the updated standard has come into force on July 2, 2019.
Most notable changes
- Improved usability by incorporating external technical requirements, such as those in Protective Direction 34, 37 and 38.
- Updated dangerous goods list to align with the 19th edition of the UN Model Regulations. Adjusted special provisions to reflect updated transportation requirements for Sulphuric Acid (UN1831) and Hydrogen Peroxide (UN2014 / UN2015).
- Updated technical requirements for Class 3, Flammable Liquids and the new tank car specification known as TC 117.
- Improved harmonization between tank car requirements in Canada and the US, including tank car approvals, tank car design requirements and a new mechanism to secure One Time Movement Approvals (OTMA) – Category 2.
- Updated material of construction requirements for tank cars, including the addition of stainless steel, normalized steel for dangerous goods classified as a toxic inhalation hazard (TIH) and improved thickness requirements for new tank car construction.
Participating in the development of future editions of these standards
Individuals and organizations interested in participating and contributing in the development of future editions of the standard are encouraged to contact the Canadian General Standards Board (CGSB) by any of the means below.
Canadian General Standards Board
web — http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/ongc-cgsb/index-eng.html.
e-mail — firstname.lastname@example.org.
telephone — 1-800-665-2472
mail — Canadian General Standards Board, Gatineau, Canada K1A 1G6
Stakeholders may submit questions regarding the new edition of TP 14877 by sending an email to email@example.com.