- Back to the Containers home page
- Aerosol Containers and Gas Cartridges
- Cylinders, Spheres and Tubes
- UN cylinders, UN tubes, UN cryogenic receptacles, and multiple-element gas containers
- Tank Trucks and Trailers and TC Portable Tanks
- Containers for Infectious substances
- Railway Tank Cars and Ton Containers
- UN Small Means of Containment
- UN Portable Tanks
- Containers for Explosives (Class 1)
Currently in force:
(English and French)
Upcoming edition / amendment:
The TP 14850 standard sets out the requirements for the design and manufacture of small containers (bags, boxes, combination packagings, composite packagings, drums and jerricans) with a maximum capacity of 450L and their use for the transportation of dangerous goods in Class 3, 4, 5, 6.1, 8 and 9.
Section 5.6 of the TDG Regulations specifies that small containers manufactured in Canada are UN Standardized Means of Containment if they are in compliance with sections 2 and 3 and Part 1 of the TP14850 standard.
Subsection 5.12(1) of the TDG Regulations specifies that UN Standardized small means of containment selected and used in accordance with sections 2 and 3 and Part 2 of the TP14850 standard are permitted container types for transport of dangerous goods in Class 3, 4, 5, 6.1, 8 and 9.
A copy of TP14850, 2010 can be obtained from the Transport Canada website.
For more information on matters pertaining to TP 14850:
Inquiries pertaining to applications for registration:
After choosing the language (1 for English, 2 for French), press option 1.
Please include the text "Small means of Containment" in the subject line.