Possible delays in treating your request
Openness, transparency and accountability are guiding principles of the Government of Canada. However, our ability to respond to requests within the timelines mandated by the Access to Information Act and the Privacy Act may be affected by the exceptional measures put in place to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and protect the health and safety of Canadians. Access to information and personal information requests received from the public continue to be important to us. We will continue to make reasonable efforts to respond to requests, in accordance with operational realities. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding during this period as we all navigate these unprecedented challenges.
Access to Information and Privacy Menu
To make a request under the Access to Information Act you may complete the Access to Information Request Form and follow the instructions on the form, clearly stating exactly what information you seek. If you are seeking your own personal information under our control, please consult How to submit a Privacy Act request to Transport Canada process.
Who can file a request?
- You must either be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or have an address in Canada to make an Access to Information request. If you are a Canadian living abroad, you must provide proof of citizenship to receive the information you seek.
- If you are not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, you can have a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident or someone with an address in Canada submit a request on your behalf.
- Corporations, businesses and organizations with a Canadian presence have the right to make an Access to Information request.
What to include in my request:
- it is important to clearly state exactly what information you seek;
- please do not include your Social Insurance Number.
Where do I send my request?
All requests are to be submitted to the address below. You may also e-mail us your scanned and signed request, with any supporting documents:
Access to Information and Privacy (
Place de Ville, Tower C, XMSP
330 Sparks Street
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0N5
Cost of filing an Access to Information Act request:
- you must pay a $5.00 application fee before we can begin to formally process your request. You may pay by cheque or money order payable to "The Receiver General of Canada", or by credit card. A formal request gives you the right to lodge a complaint with the Office of the Information Commissioner concerning the processing of your request. The ATIP Office will advise you if there are extra search and/or preparation fees required to complete your request;
- we can respond informally to your request at no charge, but you will not have the right to lodge a complaint with the Office of the Information Commissioner.
Privacy Notice: we will not keep credit card information after payment is processed.
Submitting your request online
You can submit your request online using the ATIP Online Request Service. You will be able to pay for the application fee using your credit card.