RDIMS No .: 17063079
Date (Y-M-D) : 2020-12-23
This bulletin is to let you know about a trial voluntary protection zone for shipping on the west coast of Haida Gwaii.
This bulletin applies to owners and operators of vessels that are of 500 gross tonnage or more and travel in waters around Haida Gwaii.
What you need to know
From September 1, 2020 through October 31, 2021 commercial vessels that are of 500 gross tonnage or more must travel at least 50 nautical miles away from the shores of the west coast of Haida Gwaii.
We ask that you voluntarily respect these distances as long as it doesn’t affect the safety of navigation, your vessel, anyone onboard, or your cargo.
The coordinates of the protection zone are
- 54⁰ 18.108' N 134⁰ 30.432' W
- 53⁰ 44.036' N 134⁰ 32.677' W
- 53⁰ 11.118' N 134⁰ 16.412' W
- 52⁰ 18.483' N 133⁰ 20.917' W
- 51⁰ 24.590' N 132⁰ 04.081' W
- 51⁰ 56.158' N 131⁰ 01.830' W
- 54⁰ 15.436' N 133⁰ 04.788' W
- Cruise vessels, to observe a minimum 12 nm distance from shore;
- Vessels transiting between Pacific Northwest ports (Washington, Alaska, BC), to observe a minimum 25 nm distance from shore;
- Tugs and barges (including pushing and towing alongside), no minimum distance; and
- Fishing vessels, no minimum distance.
If you have questions or comments about this ship safety bulletin, please email us at: Marinesafetyemail@example.com
More information on the Voluntary Protection Zone for Shipping on the West Coast of Haida Gwaii can be found on http://haidagwaii-vpz.ca/.
1. Haida Gwaii
2. Protection zone
Questions concerning this Bulletin should be addressed to:
Marine Safety and Security
Tower C, Place de Ville
330 Sparks Street, 11th Floor
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0N8
Contact us at: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Telephone: 1-855-859-3123 (Toll Free).