RDIMS No .: 17825880
Date (Y-M-D) : 2021-08-20
This bulletin replaces Ship Safety Bulletin No. 06/2019
In 2018 Transport Canada has launched a new component of the voluntary Small Vessel Compliance Program. The program now includes small fishing vessels not more than 15 gross tonnage. This bulletin provides information about the program to owners and operators of small commercial fishing vessels.
In August 2021, Transport Canada has released a new online application.
This bulletin applies to all owners and operators of Canadian small commercial fishing vessels not more than 15 gross tonnage.
What you need to know
To own or operate a small commercial fishing vessel, you must meet various safety and environmental requirements set out in the Canada Shipping Act, 2001 and its related regulations such as the
- Fishing Vessel Safety Regulations;
- Marine Personnel Regulations; and
- Navigation Safety Regulations, 2020
The Small Vessel Compliance Program and its new component for small commercial fishing vessels help owners and operators understand and meet the legal requirements that apply to their vessels. The program is voluntary, but meeting the regulatory requirements is not.
The program is an easy-to-use tool. It provides guidance on legal requirements such as
- registering the vessel with Transport Canada;
- carrying required safety equipment on board;
- developing safety procedures for operating the vessel and responding to emergencies; and
- ensuring the crew is properly qualified and trained.
How to enrol
You can enroll your fishing vessel in this program using the new online application.
Alternatively you can continue to use the other methods of enrollment:
- Download the small vessel detailed compliance report for fishing vessels not more than 15 gross tonnage (DCR-FORM: 85‑0509) and fill it in electronically or on a printed copy
- Request a copy of the detailed compliance report for small fishing vessels, by mail or in person from your regional Transport Canada Marine Safety office.
For help filling in the detailed compliance report, refer to Guidance notes for the detailed compliance report for small fishing vessels not more than 15 gross tonnage (TP 15356).
When you have successfully enrolled your vessel, we will let you know. You will receive an orange decal to display on the vessel, which shows she is enrolled in the program.
To learn more about this program, including explanations for the new online enrolment, visit the Small Vessel Compliance Program.
To register in the program: https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/4/SVCP-PCPB/eng/Account/Login
1. Small Vessel Compliance Program (SVCP)
2. Fishing Vessel
3. Guidance Notes
Questions concerning this Bulletin should be addressed to:
Marine Safety and Security
Tower C, Place de Ville
330 Sparks Street, 11th Floor
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0N8
Contact us at: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Telephone: 1-855-859-3123 (Toll Free).