Section 9 of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act provides the Minister of Transport with the authority to grant an exemption for a specific period, in accordance with any conditions specified in the order for any model of vehicle manufactured or imported by the company from the conformity with any standard if the requested exemption from that standard would, in the opinion of the Minister promote the development of either new safety features that are equivalent to or superior to those that conform to prescribed standards, or new kinds of vehicles, technologies, vehicle systems or components.
Whereas the purpose of this exemption is to allow Volvo Group Canada Inc. (Volvo) to replace exterior rear view mirrors with a video camera based system.
Whereas I have concluded from the information provided in the application that the exemption from the requirements set out in subsections 111 (1), (3), (4) and (27) of Schedule IV to the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations would promote the development of new safety features that are equivalent to or superior to those that conform to prescribed standards.
Whereas this exemption would not substantially diminish the overall safety performance of the vehicle model.
Therefore pursuant to section 9 of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act, I hereby make this Volvo Group Canada Inc. Exemption Order.
Volvo Group Canada Inc. Exemption Order
The vehicle models listed below, manufactured or imported by Volvo, are exempt from the requirements set out in subsections 111 (1), (3), (4) and (27) of Schedule IV of the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations subject to the following conditions:
- Volvo shall ensure the exempted vehicle models are equipped with the camera monitoring system, Smart-Vision CMS from Vision Systems.
- Volvo shall provide an annual incident report. The report must be in writing, in either paper or electronic form and in the company's official language of choice. Reporting will begin on November 4, 2022. The report must be filed with Transport Canada at ComplianceEngineering-Essaisdequipements@tc.gc.ca and contain the following information:
- a description of the nature of all exterior camera system malfunctions and/or failures, both hardware and software, including the causes, and a description of the location of the malfunction
- whether a notice of defect has been issued regarding an exterior camera system malfunction and the recall number issued by the Minister of Transport
- the vehicle systems or components that may be affected by the exterior camera system malfunctions and/or failures, both hardware and software
- a description of the corrective measures to be taken in respect of the camera system malfunctions and/or failures, both hardware and software and how they are to be implemented, including a general description of the work involved.
List of exempted vehicles
- Prevost X3 Converted Coach Shell (X3-45 V.I.P.)
- Prevost X3 Converted Coach Shell (X3-45 V.I.P. Entertainer)
- Prevost X3 Passenger Coach
- Prevost X3 Commuter Coach
- Prevost X3 Incomplete Passenger Coach
- Prevost H3 Passenger Coach
- Prevost H3 Converted Coach Shell (H3-45 V.I.P.)
- Prevost H3 Incomplete Passenger Coach
- Nova Bus LFS
- Nova Bus LFS Artic
This exemption is in effect until November 4, 2024 at 23:59 EST.
Dated 4th of November, 2021
Acting Director General
Multi-modal and Road Safety Programs