This manual contains the policies, procedures, performance standards and evaluation criteria used by the National Simulator Evaluation Program (NSEP). It’s used to evaluate and certify aeroplane and rotorcraft flight simulation training devices (FSTD) pursuant to section 606.03 of the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs).
Who this guide is for
- users of an FSTD to meet requirements of Part IV, Part VI or Part VII of the CARs
- persons or organizations (sponsors) requesting Transport Canada qualification of a FSTD
- persons or organizations authorized by the Minister of Transport to qualify a FSTD
- Transport Canada aviation inspectors and staff
In this guide
- Policies and procedures for qualification of Aeroplane and Rotorcraft Flight Simulation Training Devices (FSTD)
- Sponsor administrative procedures - Applications and Notifications
- Quality Performance Standards (QPS) for Full Flight Simulators
- Quality Performance Standards (QPS) for Flight Training Devices (FTD) - Type specific
- Quality Performance Standards (QPS) for Flight Training Devices (FTD) - Non-type specific
- Evaluation criteria and requirements for additional qualifications
Request a copy
Get a copy of this Transport Canada document sent to you by email.
Privacy notice: We collect your email address to automatically send you an electronic copy of the document you’ve requested. Your email address is not stored. Read our privacy statement.
Request a copy in alternate format
To get a copy of this document in an alternate format, contact DLOTTAEWeb@tc.gc.ca.
Details and history
Transport Canada Publication (TP) 9685 Revision 3, is a complete reissue that replaces Revision 2. The document has been restructured to eliminate duplication, address new simulator technology and better align with Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) standards. The key changes include:
- added policy to clarify a sponsor’s eligibility and responsibilities when applying for FSTD evaluations and continuing qualification
- aligned Level 4 to 7 and Level A to D requirements with the qualification performance standards found in FAA Title 14 CFR Part 60
- introduced new Level 1 to 2 FSTD standards that are tailored to support Transport Canada training requirements for:
- Private Pilot License (PPL)
- Commercial Pilot License (CPL)
- IR and renewal
- Multi Crew Coordination (MCC) training as approved by the Minister
Related acts and regulations
- By email: TC.FCStandards-FCNormes.TC@tc.gc.ca
- By mail:
330, rue Sparks