Subject: Transport Canada Publication TP308/GPH209 - Change 8.0 Criteria for the Development of Instrument Procedures
|Issuing Office:||Civil Aviation, Standards|
|Document No.:||AC 803-001|
|File Classification No.:||Z 5000-34|
Table of contents
- 1.0 Introduction
- 2.0 References and requirements
- 3.0 Background
- 4.0 Information changes in TP308/GPH209 Change 8.0
- 5.0 Requirements
- 6.0 Acquisition
- 7.0 Information management
- 8.0 Document history
- 9.0 Contact us
(1) This Advisory Circular (AC) is provided for information and guidance purposes. It describes an example of an acceptable means, but not the only means, of demonstrating compliance with regulations and standards. This AC on its own does not change, create, amend or permit deviations from regulatory requirements, nor does it establish minimum standards.
(1) The purpose of this AC is to announce the implementation of a change to the Criteria for the Development of Instrument Procedures (TP308/GPH209).
(1) This document is applicable to all Transport Canada Civil Aviation (TCCA) employees and to individuals or organizations when they are exercising privileges granted to them under an External Ministerial Delegation of Authority. This information is also available to the aviation industry for information purposes.
1.3 Description of Changes
(1) Issue 10 of this AC, introduces TP308/GPH209 Change 8.0 and this Issue 11 addresses an amended effective date of TP308/GPH209 Change 8.0 as a result of implementation impact due to COVID-19.
(2) Change 8.0, is a general update to the Criteria for the Development of Instrument Procedures (TP308/GPH209) including but not limited to: Quality Management System (QMS) guidance, Class F Airspace guidance, Descent Gradients, Speed Restrictions, Final Approach segment Glidepath Angle (GPA), Vertical Descent Angle (VDA), Vertical Guidance Surface (VGS), Vectoring Charts, PBN general criteria and Annex E Procedures updated.
(3) Change 8.0 is deemed to be major in nature and a 21 month period was provided for implementation (see Para 5.1), but due to COVID-19 impacting the production of Instrument Flight Procedure design, Transport Canada is extending that period by one year.
2.0 References and requirements
2.1 Reference documents
(1) It is intended that the following reference materials be used in conjunction with this document:
- (a) Aeronautics Act (R.S.C., 1985, c. A-2)
- (b) Part VIII Subpart 03 of the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs) — Aeronautical Information Services.
- (c) Transport Canada Publication (TP) 308/GPH 209 — Criteria for the Development of Instrument Procedures, Change 8.0, 2020-01-01.
2.2 Cancelled Documents
(1) By default, it is understood that the publication of a new issue of a document automatically renders any earlier issues of the same document null and void.
2.3 Definitions and Abbreviations
(1) The following abbreviations are used in this document:
- (a) AC: Advisory Circular;
- (b) CAR: Canadian Aviation Regulations;
- (c) FAA: Federal Aviation Administration;
- (d) PBN: Performance Based Navigation; and
- (e) TCCA: Transport Canada Civil Aviation.
(1) Subsection 803.02(a) of the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs) states that no person shall publish or submit for publishing in the Canada Air Pilot an instrument procedure unless the procedure has been developed in accordance with the standards and criteria specified in the manual entitled Criteria for the Development of Instrument Procedures (TP308/GPH209).
(2) Instrument Procedure Design Criteria contained in TP 308/GPH209 are based on the United States Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Orders for the development of Instrument Procedure.
(3) The criteria contained in TP 308/GPH209 is amended from time to time, in response to: changes introduced by FAA to their Orders, changes to technology, and recommendations received from stakeholders.
4.0 Information changes in TP308/GPH209 Change 8.0
(1) The significant areas of new direction, guidance, and policy included in this change are detailed in the “Revision - Change Page” section of TP 308/GPH209 Change 8.0.
(1) Effective 01 January 2023 - all existing, new and revised criteria introduced in Change 8.0 is available for use. To facilitate implementation of the new criteria, 01 Jan 2023 is the earliest date that a procedure can be submitted for publication using Change 8.0. As of 01 January 2023, preceding version of TP 308/GPH209 are no longer be authorized for the Development of Instrument Procedures.
(1) In adherence to Subsection 803.02(b) of the CARs, no person shall publish or submit for publishing an instrument procedure unless the procedure has been developed by a person who has successfully completed training which has been accepted by the Minister.
(2) No new training is required for TP 308/GPH209 Change 8.0. Previous training requirements apply and previously accepted training is valid.
(1) A Secure File Transfer Account (SFTA) has been created to share an electronic copy of TP 308/GPH209 Change 8.0. The new criteria is available for download as of 17 February 2020. The SFTA uses Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS) and can be used by any device that is connected to the internet and supports HTTPS.
(2) To access the STFA application, go to https://sfta-tfsa.tc.gc.ca/
- (a) Username : ANS External
- (b) Password : ANSexternal2014
(3) The “Change my password” option has been disabled.
(4) All files and folders on this account will automatically be deleted thirty (30) days after they have been uploaded. If TP 308/GPH209 Change 8.0 is not available at the time of your visit, please contact either:
- (a) Michel Drolet, email@example.com (613) 991-3325 or,
- (b) Adrio Taucer, firstname.lastname@example.org (613) 993-0566.
7.0 Information management
(1) Not applicable.
8.0 Document history
(1) AC 803-001, Issue 10, RDIMS 15968652 v3 (E) and 15969009 v2 (F) dated 2020-03-17 – Transport Canada Publication T308/GPH209 Change 8.0 Criteria for Development of Instrument Procedures.
(1) AC 803-001, Issue 09, RDIMS 14796668 (E) and 14812305 (F), dated 2019-01-01 - Transport Canada Publication TP308/GPH209 - Change 7.2 Criteria for the Development of Instrument Procedures
(2) AC 803-001, Issue 08, RDIMS 13581530 (E) and 13780809 (F), dated 2018-02-23 - Transport Canada Publication TP308/GPH209 – Change 7.1 Criteria for the Development of Instrument Procedures
(3) AC 803-001, Issue 07, RDIMS 12513116 (E) and 12543546 (F), dated 2017-01-30 - Transport Canada Publication TP308/GPH209 – Change 7.0 Criteria for the Development of Instrument Procedures
(4) AC 803-001, Issue 06, RDIMS 8741578 (E) and 8764353 (F), dated 2013-10-11 - Transport Canada Publication 308/GPH209 - Change 6.0 Criteria for the Development of Instrument Procedures
(5) AC 803-001, Issue 05, RDIMS 7698839 (E) and 7698845 (F), dated 2012-12-20 - Transport Canada Publication 308/GPH209 Change 5.3 - Criteria for the Development of Instrument Procedures
(6) AC 803-001, Issue 04, RDIMS 7698839 (E) and 7698845 (F), dated 2012-07-31 - Transport Canada Publication 308/GPH209 - Change 5.3 Criteria for the Development of Instrument Procedures
(7) AC 803-001, Issue 03, RDIMS (E) 7132594 and 7155847 (F), dated 2011-12-15 - Transport Canada Publication 308/GPH209 Change 5.3 - Transport Canada Publication 308/GPH209 - Change 5.3 Criteria for the Development of Instrument Procedures
(8) AC 803-001, Issue 02, RDIMS 4749174 (E) and 4798075 (F), dated 2009-03-10 - TP 308/GPH209 - Change 5.2 - Criteria for the Development of Instrument Procedures
(9) AC 803-001, Issue 01, RDIMS 3772783 (E) and 3816335 (F), dated 2008-01-03 - TP 308/GPH209 - Change 4 - Criteria for the Development of Instrument Procedures
(10) Please find enclosed the new TP 308/GPH209 Change 8.0, “Record of Amendments” with new effective date. To be inserted into TP308/GPH209 Change 8.0.
9.0 Contact us
For more information, please contact:
Acting chief of Flight Standards – Standards branch (AARTA)
We invite suggestions for amendment to this document. Submit your comments to:
Civil Aviation Communications Centre
Original signed by
Director, Standards branch