Pursuant to subsection 5.9(2) of the Aeronautics Act, and after taking into account that the exemption is in the public interest and is not likely to affect aviation safety, I hereby exempt Canadian air operators, from the requirement set out in paragraph 3.5.1(c) of the Manual of All Weather Operations (TP 1490) made pursuant to paragraph 602.128(4)(b) of the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs). This exemption is subject to the following conditions:
Paragraph 602.128(4)(b) stipulates that no pilot in command of an IFR aircraft shall conduct a precision approach to CAT II or CAT III minima unless the aircraft is operated in accordance with the procedures, the equipment requirements and the limitations specified in The Manual of All Weather Operations.
Section 3.5.1 of the Manual of All Weather Operations, requires an air operator to include a section in their operations manual assigned specifically to the conditions that must be met before a precision instrument approach to CAT II/III minima may be commenced. Paragraph 3.5.1(c), which is one of the conditions that must be included in the operations manual, limits the crosswind component on the landing runway to 10 knots.
The purpose of this exemption is to permit air operators to increase the CAT II and CAT III precision instrument approach crosswind limit of ten knots on the landing runway, as specified in paragraph 3.5.1(c) of the Manual of All Weather Operations, to the maximum crosswind limit specified in the applicable Aircraft Flight Manual (AFM) for CAT II/III approaches. Where no limit is specified in the AFM for CAT II/III approaches, the maximum crosswind limit shall be 15 knots, or such lesser amount determined by equipment and runway limitation.
This exemption applies to Canadian air operators who are authorized to conduct limited visibility precision instrument approaches in CAT II and CAT III weather conditions, in accordance with the Manual of All Weather Operations.
This exemption is subject to the following conditions:
- The cross-wind component on the landing runway shall not exceed the aircraft limitations as specified in the AFM for CAT II/III instrument approaches, or where no limit is specified in the AFM for CAT II/III approaches, fifteen knots, or such lesser amount determined by equipment and runway limitation;
- All other requirements of the Manual of All Weather Operations (CAT II and III), shall have been met; and
- A copy of this exemption shall be inserted in the Company Operations Manual.
This exemption is in effect until the earliest of the following:
- February 1, 2006; 23:59 EST;
- The date on which an amendment to the appropriate provision of the CARs comes into effect;
- The date on which any of the conditions set out in this exemption is breached; or
- The date on which this exemption is cancelled in writing by the Minister, where he is of the opinion that it is no longer in the public interest, or it is likely to affect aviation safety.
Dated at Ottawa, Ontario, Canada this 26th day of November, 2004, on behalf of the Minister of Transport.
Original signed by
Commercial and Business Aviation
- Date de modification :