Pursuant to subsection 5.9(2) of the Aeronautics Act, and after having taken into account that the exemption is both in the public interest and is not likely to affect aviation safety, I hereby exempt Bombardier Inc., 9785, Ryan Avenue, Dorval, Quebec H9P 1A2, operating under Subpart 4 of Part VI of the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CAR) from the requirements of section 604.19 of the CAR's, in accordance with the purpose and application set out below, and subject to the following conditions. This section requires that the safety features card shows the location of the first aid kit(s), fire extinguishers, emergency locator transmitter and survival equipment.
PURPOSE AND APPLICATION
The purpose of this exemption is to allow Bombardier Inc. to operate its DHC-8- 100/200/300 and DHC-8-400 as well as the CL-65 Regional Jet aeroplanes with passengers onboard, using a safety features card that does not show the location of the first aid kit(s), fire extinguishers, emergency locator transmitter and survival equipment.
This exemption applies only to the DHC-8-100/200/300/400 and the CL-65 Regional Jet aeroplanes that are operated by Bombardier Inc.
- On all flights, the pilot-in-command or a flight attendant must provide all passengers with a standard or an individual safety briefing that meets the requirements of section 624.18 of the Private Operator Passenger Transportation Standards. This briefing must be provided by the pilot-in-command if there is no flight attendant carried on the flight.
- On all flights, a safety features card that meets the requirements set out in Appendix A, attached hereto, must be provided at each passenger seat.
- When the flight deck observer seat is occupied and there are one or more passengers carried in the cabin of the DHC-8-100/200/300 and the CL-65 Regional Jet, there must be at least one flight attendant assigned to the flight.
- When the flight deck observer seat is occupied and there are one or more passengers carried in the cabin of the DHC-8-400, there must be at least two flight attendants assigned to the flight.
- When more than six passengers are carried, there must be at least one flight attendant assigned to the flight on the DHC-8-100/200/300 and the CL-65 Regional Jet.
- When more than six passengers are carried, there must be at least two flight attendants assigned to the flight on the DHC-8-400.
- On flights operating at more than 50 nautical miles from shore, a life preserver safety features card supplement that meets the requirements of subparagraph 624.19(2)(b)(x) of the Private Operator Passenger Transportation Standards must be provided at each passenger seat.
- On flights operating at more than 200 nautical miles from shore, a life raft safety features card supplement that meets the requirements of subparagraph 624.19(2)(b)(xi) of the Private Operator Passenger Transportation Standards must be provided at each passenger seat.
- Within one month of the date of this exemption, Bombardier Inc. must submit to the Minister for approval amendments to its Operations Manual and Flight Attendant Manual that include the procedures set out in Conditions 1, 3, 4, 5 and 6 and include the content of the verbal safety briefing that identifies the location of any emergency equipment the passenger may have a need for in an emergency situation such as the ELT, fire extinguisher, survival equipment (including the means to access if in a locked compartment), first aid kit, life preserver or flotation device and life raft.
- A copy of this exemption must be carried in the Bombardier Inc. Operations Manual.
This exemption is in effect until the earliest of the following:
- 23:59 EST on 31 March 2001;
- the date on which any of the conditions of this exemption are breached; or
- the date on which this exemption is cancelled in writing by the Minister, where he is of the opinion that it is no longer in the public interest or that it is likely to affect aviation safety.
Dated at Dorval, Quebec, Canada, this 23rd day of November, 1999 on behalf of the Minister of Transport.
Original signed by Diane Desmarais for
For The Minister Of Transport
The safety features card must contain the following information as applicable to the specific aeroplane and equipment carried:
- General safety information including:
- when and where smoking is prohibited on board the aeroplane;
- each type of safety belt or safety harness installed for passenger use, including when to use, and how to fasten, tighten and release;
- when and where carry on baggage must be stowed; and any other related requirements and restrictions pertinent to that particular aeroplane; and
- correct positioning of seat backs and chair tables for take-off and landing; and
- Emergency procedures and equipment including:
- fixed passenger oxygen system showing:
- mask location and presentation; the actions to be performed by the seated passenger in order to obtain the mask, activate the flow of oxygen and correctly don and secure the mask;
- priority for persons assisting others with oxygen; and-
- smoking restrictions;
- passenger brace position for impact, as appropriate for each type of seat and restraint system installed for passenger use, including the brace position for an adult holding an infant;
- the location, operation and method of using each emergency exit type on the aeroplane, including identification of those emergency exits known to be rendered unusable in a ditching or because of aeroplane configuration such as a combi configuration;
- the safest direction and most hazard-free escape route for passenger movement away from the aeroplane following evacuation;
- the attitude of the aeroplane while floating;
- location of life preservers and correct procedures for removal from stowage/packaging, donning and use of the life preserver for adult, child and infant users including when to inflate;
- location and use of life rafts;
- location, removal and use of flotation devices; and
- the form, function, colour and location of any Floor Proximity Emergency Escape Path lighting system if installed.
- fixed passenger oxygen system showing:
- Date de modification :