Pursuant to subsection 5.9(2) of the Aeronautics Act, and after taking into account that the exemption is in the public interest and is not likely to adversely affect aviation safety, I hereby exempt Canadian airport operators from the requirements set out in Standard 188.8.131.52 of the Aerodrome Standards and Recommended Practices (TP312, 5th Edition) made pursuant to subparagraph 302.07(1)(a)(i) of the Canadian Aviation Regulations, subject to the following conditions.
Standard 184.108.40.206 of the Aerodrome Standards and Recommended Practices (TP312, 5th Edition), including its referenced Figure 5.6(b), sets out the requirement for pairs of Touchdown Zone (TDZ) markings.
The purpose of this exemption is to allow all Canadian airport operators to operate a runway with safety standards pertaining to the number of TDZ marking pairs that are consistent with the previous edition of TP312 (4th Edition) and with current internationally accepted standards until such a time the 5th Edition is corrected.
This exemption applies to Canadian airport operators operating a runway for which TDZ marking pairs are required to be positioned pursuant to standard 220.127.116.11 of the Aerodrome Standards and Recommended Practices (TP312, 5th Edition).
This exemption ceases to apply to the Canadian airport operator who breaches a condition of the exemption.
This exemption is subject to the following conditions:
- The airport operator shall ensure that the number of pairs of TDZ markings disposed about the runway centerline related to the declared Landing Distance Available (LDA) is as presented in Table 1 and Figure 1 below, whereby the pairs of stripes are to be positioned at a longitudinal spacing of 150 m (±1.0 m) beginning from the threshold except that pairs of TDZ markings coincident with or located within 50 m of an aiming point marking are deleted from the pattern;
Table 1—Touchdown Zone (TDZ) Marking Pairs Distance between thresholds / Declared LDA (metres) Location of TDZ markings distance from threshold (metres) Location of aiming point marking distance from threshold (metres) Pairs of TDZ markings less than 900 m Nil 150 0 900 m up to but not including 1200 m 150 250 1 1200 m up to but not including 1500 m 150 and 450 300 2 1500 m up to but not including 2400 m 150, 450 and 600 300 3 2400 m or more 150, 300, 600, 750 and 900 400 5
- The TDZ markings comply with all the other related requirements stated in TP312, 5th Edition; and,
- The airport operator shall ensure that a copy of this exemption is inserted in the airport operations manual.
This exemption is in effect until the earliest of the following:
- December 1, 2021 at 23:59 EST;
- the date on which an amendment to the appropriate provisions of the Canadian Aviation Regulations or related standards specifically pertaining to the subject-matter of this exemption comes into effect; or
- the date on which the exemption is cancelled by the Minister in writing where he is of the opinion that it is no longer in the public interest or is likely to adversely affect aviation safety.
DATED at Ottawa, Ontario, this 6th day of December 2016 on behalf of the Minister of Transport.
(Original signed by)
Director General, Aviation Safety Regulatory Framework
- Date de modification :