Pursuant to subsection 5.9(2) of the Aeronautics Act, and after having taken into account that the exemption is both in the public interest and is not likely to affect aviation safety, I hereby exempt Air Operator, Équipe de Voltige Northern Lights Inc./Northern Lights Aerobatic Team Inc., 230, 2e Avenue, Ste-Foy, Quebec, Canada from meeting the requirements of paragraph 702.43 (a) of the Canadian Aviation Regulations(CARs)
Paragraph 702.43(a) of the CARs requires that aircraft operating under the Instrument Flight Rules (IFR) with a single pilot shall be equipped with "an auto-pilot that is capable of operating the aircraft controls to maintain flight and manoeuvre the aircraft about the lateral and longitudinal axes".
The purpose of this exemption is to allow Équipe de Voltige Northern Lights Inc./ Northern Lights Aerobatic Team Inc. to operate the Hawker Hunter aeroplanes, under IFR, with a single pilot, without the aircraft being equipped with a serviceable auto-pilot.
This exemption applies to Équipe de Voltige Northern Lights Inc./Northern Lights Aerobatic Team Inc. operating Hawker Hunter in accordance with CARs 702.01 (1) "Aerial Work". This exemption applies only when Équipe de Voltige Northern Lights Inc./Northern Lights Aerobatic Inc. conducts Combat Air Support for the Canadian Armed Forces.
This exemption is granted subject to the following conditions:
- The aircraft must be operated in accordance with Équipe de Voltige Northern Lights Inc./Northern Lights Aerobatic Inc. approved operations manual and maintenance control manual.
- All crew members operating the Hunter will have to meet the following requirements:
- Hold a current Airline transport pilot license;
- Hold a valid class l, group 1 IFR;
- Be trained on the Hunter aircraft in accordance with the NLAT Hunter Training Program;
- The aircraft must be operated within the Canadian Armed Forces Training Area and must not be operated over a built-up area.
- The aircraft must remain in the care, custody, and control of Équipe de Voltige Northern Lights Inc./Northern Lights Aerobatic Inc.
- Équipe de Voltige Northern Lights Inc./Northern Lights Aerobatic Inc. must be the holder of a valid Canadian registration in effect for the aircraft.
- A copy of this exemption must be carried on board the aircraft during all operations where this exemption applies.
This exemption is in effect until the earliest of the following:
- Indeterminate period while the aircraft is in the care, custody and control of NLAT;
- The date on which any condition set out in this exemption is breached; or
- The date on which this exemption is canceled in writing by the Minister where he is of the opinion that it is no longer in the public interest or is likely to affect aviation safety.
Dated at Dorval, Quebec, this 2lst day of October 2002, on behalf of the Minister of Transport.
- Date de modification :