Oceans Protection Plan
Working in partnership to protect our coasts and waterways for generations to come
Canada’s coasts and waterways are part of our identity.
For some of us, they’re a workplace. For others, they’re a place to call home. But to all Canadians, they’re a source of life, inspiration, and pride.
That’s why the Government of Canada launched the Oceans Protection Plan in 2016.
Since then, our coasts and waterways are better protected from coast-to-coast-to-coast.
There are over 50 initiatives under the Plan, and they have:
- made marine shipping safer
- built stronger partnerships with Indigenous and coastal communities on marine safety
- improved training, prevention, and response to marine incidents
- and increased protection and restoration of our marine ecosystems
The list goes on, but one thing is for certain: Canada’s coasts and waterways are safer and healthier for everyone.
Thanks to the Oceans Protection Plan, all Canadians are working together to protect our oceans for generations to come.
There is more to know. Visit Canada.ca/protecting-our-coasts
Together, with Indigenous Peoples and coastal communities, industry, and researchers, we are doing our part to keep our coasts and waterways healthy, clean, and safe.
Click on a region to learn more about what the Oceans Protection Plan has accomplished so far.
- Learn about all the initiatives improving marine safety through the Oceans Protection Plan
- Watch videos to learn more about Oceans Protection Plan on Youtube
- Learn about initiatives through engaging Oceans Protection Plan infographics
- Read Canada's Oceans Protection Plan summary
Join the Conversation
Marine shipping in Canada is safer than ever. Our world-leading marine safety system is designed to prevent marine incidents and ship-source pollution, respond quickly and efficiently to marine incidents, and preserve and restores the local environment. #OceansProtectionPlan pic.twitter.com/KTNjtY6au5— Transport Canada (@Transport_gc) August 14, 2021