- About Us
- Our Mission
- Our Vision
- Our Raison d’être, Mandate and Role: Who we are and what we do
- Our Organizational Structure
This page will provide you with a general overview as to who we are as an organization and what we aim to achieve for Canadians.
To serve the public interest through the promotion of a safe and secure, efficient and environmentally responsible transportation system in Canada.
A transportation system in Canada that is recognized worldwide as safe and secure, efficient and environmentally responsible.
Our Raison d’être, Mandate and Role: Who we are and what we do
At Transport Canada, we are responsible for developing and overseeing the Government of Canada’s transportation policies and programs so that Canadians can have access to a transportation system that is:
- Safe and secure;
- Green and innovative; and
We work towards these objectives by:
- Proposing and updating policies, laws and regulations;
- Conducting inspections, enforcement activities and surveillance of the transportation industry’s equipment, operations and facilities; and
- Providing funding to organizations for projects that strengthen the transportation network, including safety improvement projects, technological innovations and green transportation initiatives.
While we are not directly responsible for all aspects or modes of transportation, we play a key leadership role in ensuring that all parts of the transportation system across Canada work together effectively. We do so by collaborating with various groups including Indigenous people, industry, provincial and territorial governments and international partners. Read about how Transport Canada is serving Canadians.
Our Organizational Structure
Transport Canada consists of program and support groups working both at our headquarters in Ottawa and in dozens of locations across Canada.
You can view our organizational structure, including information about our senior officials by consulting our Department’s organizational chart.