The Transportation of Dangerous Goods Directorate has published the updated Transport Canada Standard TP 14877, Containers for Transport of Dangerous Goods by Rail, January 2018. The standard covers large means of containment used in the handling, offering for transport and transport of dangerous goods by rail.
Currently in force:
TP14877, January 2018
(English and French)
TP14877, December 2013
A new edition of CAN/CGSB-43.147 is being developed. A draft has been made available for public review during a 60-day period commencing June 7, 2022.
On this page
- Scope of the standard
- Finding the standard in the TDG Regulations
- List of tank car facilities registered by Transport Canada
- Obtaining a copy of the standard
- Contact us
- Related links
Scope of the standard
The TP 14877 standard sets out the requirements for the handling, offering for transport, and transporting of dangerous goods by rail in Canada. It includes requirements for the:
- construction and modification of tank cars and ton containers
- qualification and maintenance of tank cars and ton containers
- selection, use, and handling of ton containers, TC portable tanks, tank cars, hopper cars, and other large containers or transport units used in the handling, offering for transport, or transporting of Class 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.1, 8 and 9 dangerous goods by rail
- movement of non-compliant containers.
Finding the standard in the TDG Regulations
Section 5.10 of the TDG Regulations specifies that a means of containment manufactured, selected and used in accordance with TP 14877 is a permitted means of containment for the transport of Class 2 dangerous goods by railway vehicle, by road or by ship.
Section 5.14 of the TDG Regulations specifies that a means of containment manufactured, selected and used in accordance with TP 14877 is a permitted means of containment for the transport of Class 3, 4, 5, 6.1, 8 or 9 by railway vehicle, by road or by ship.
List of tank car facilities registered by Transport Canada
Tank car facilities are required to be registered by Transport Canada. Search our database for registered tank car facilities.
Obtaining a copy of the standard
A copy of TP 14877, January 2018 can be obtained from Transport Canada.
Inquiries pertaining to applications for registration:
After choosing the language (1 for English, 2 for French), press option 1.
Please include the text "Railway Tank Car" in the subject line.