If you are an inspector, a first responder, a member of enforcement personnel, or part of a government agency, contact us directly if you wish to participate in consultations and other project activities.
If you are a Canadian consignor or carrier that transports dangerous goods in Canada, you must apply for an equivalency certificate to participate in the study.
How to apply for an equivalency certificate
To apply, you will need to:
- Download, fill out, and save the Equivalency Certificate Application form on your device.
- Create an account in our approvals application website. You will be asked to upload the form within the application.
*If you have already applied for an equivalency certificate, you do not need to re-register.
If your application is approved, you will be issued an equivalency certificate that gives you permission to use electronic shipping documents from spring 2020 until spring 2022. Simulations and engagement activities will also take place during this time.
Other requirements for consignors and carriers
If you participate in this study, you also have to:
- register with the Canadian Transport Emergency Centre (CANUTEC)
- communicate shipping document information to first responders, inspectors, and CANUTEC within five minutes
- provide a point of contact who can provide shipping document information when the dangerous goods are being transported
- for road vehicles, display a sign (which will be provided by Transport Canada), advising that electronic shipping documents are being used
- send us a report within 30 calendar days, that describes any incidents that have occurred
- give us information related to your use of electronic shipping documents, such as the impacts or benefits on operational activities, training, equipment, and administrative activities
- send us your feedback throughout the two-year study
- participate in emergency response simulations during the study (not everyone will be asked to do so)
Participating in this project is voluntary, so you will not be compensated for participating.
If you are interested in participating in this project, have questions or comments, please contact:
Sandbox Project Team