RDIMS No .: 16946111
Date (Y-M-D) : 2020-12-30
The bulletin is to let you know that:
- Canada has signed a reciprocal agreement with Australia;
- Australian seafarers holding a valid STCW certificate of competency can now apply online for a Canadian endorsement.
This bulletin applies to:
- owners and operators of Canadian-flagged vessels, and
- seafarers from Australia, France and Norway that want a Canadian endorsement.
What you need to know
Australian seafarers can now seek Canadian recognition of their valid STCW certificates. Likewise, Canadian seafarers can seek Australian recognition of Canadian STCW certificates.
An “STCW certificate” is a certificate issued in accordance with the provisions of the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watch-keeping, 1978, as amended.
Seafarers with a valid STCW certificate issued by Australia can now apply for a Canadian endorsement. This is similar to agreements Canada signed earlier this year with France and Norway.
How to apply:
To apply for a Canadian endorsement, send us a:
- completed and signed application for a Canadian endorsement (Form 82-0786);
- copy of your valid medical certificate;
- copy of your valid Certificate of Competency (all pages);
- copy of all your valid certificates of proficiency (all pages);
- copy of your passport;
- signed declaration from an Authorized Representative (Form #82-0787) stating:
- your language skills (you must be able to speak very well in either English or French), and
- that you know the relevant Canadian laws and regulations; and
- two passport-sized photos.
We will accept original documents or photocopies validated by:
- one of Transport Canada’s Marine Safety and Security Regional Offices;
- the issuing administration;
- the authorized representative responsible for the day-to-day operation of the vessel; or
- a notary.
The copies must be stamped, signed and validated as true copies of the original.
Send your completed application and all supporting documents to: RecognitionofCertificates-Reconnaissancedesbrevets@tc.gc.ca or by mail to:
Transport Canada, Marine Personnel and Certification (AMSP), Place de Ville, Tower C, 330 Sparks Street, Ottawa ON K1A 0N5.
1. Reciprocal agreement
3. Canadian endorsement
Questions concerning this Bulletin should be addressed to:
Marine Safety and Security
Tower C, Place de Ville
330 Sparks Street, 11th Floor
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0N8
Contact us at: Email: email@example.com or Telephone: 1-855-859-3123 (Toll Free).