Ship Safety Bulletins (SSB)
RDIMS No .: 5835865
Date ( Y-M-D ): 2010-08-04
Subject: Application for a Candidate Document Number ( CDN )
The purpose of this bulletin is to inform the marine community that persons who require a Canadian Maritime Document ( CMD ) or other Transport Canada Marine Safety ( TCMS ) document, issued by or on behalf of TCMS under Part 3 of the Canada Shipping Act, 2001 ( CSA 2001 ), must first obtain a Candidate Document Number ( CDN ).
This bulletin applies to any person who is required to obtain a CMD or other document issued by TCMS such as, but not limited to:
- Certificate of Competency
- Certificate of Service
- Provisional Medical Certificate
- Medical Certificate
- Training Certificate
- Application for Direct Examination - assessment
- Application for Examination
Persons who need a CMD or other TCMS documents, or who provided identity information (names, date of birth or other) that is not consistent with the information already recorded in the TCMS databank system, must complete an Application for a Candidate Document Number ( CDN ). This form must be presented in person to the closest TCMS offi ce, together with documents that will clearly identify the candidate, before a CMD or other TCMS documents may be issued by or on behalf of the Minister.
Applicants must fill out TCMS form # 82-0701 – “Application for a Candidate Document Number ( CDN )” to receive a CDN or make any corrections to an existing CDN .
An applicant can complete and print the application form available on TCMS Website at the following link: http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Corp-Serv-Gen/5/Forms-Formulaires/search.aspx. The completed application, together with two (2) documents as proof of identity, must be submitted in person to the closest TCMS office, http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/regions.htm.
The applicant’s picture must be on one of the documents.
Use documents that:
- are issued by a federal, provincial or municipal authority;
- are valid; and
- include the bearer's name, date of birth, and signature.
TCMS will accept:
- Seafarer's Identity Document
- Canadian Maritime Document
- Permanent Resident Card
- Certificate of Indian Status
- Firearms Licence
- Old Age Security card
- Federal, provincial or municipal employee identification card
- Driver's licence
- Provincial health care card
- Birth Certificate
- Work, Student, Visitor and Temporary Resident permits issued by the Department of Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Persons living in remote locations or who cannot visit a TCMS office may apply by mail to the closest district office. They must include:
- the completed “Application for a Candidate Document Number ( CDN )” form; and
- a certified copy of both required documents (certified by a Commissioner for Oaths at the candidate’s expense). Remember, the candidate’s picture must be part of one of the documents.
Note: Persons that are not qualified persons, as defined in the CSA 2001 , must submit a valid passport, issued by their country of residence, as one of the two documents to confirm his/her identity and citizenship.
The following document is available for downloading or viewing:
Application for a Candidate Document Number ( CDN (225 KB )
To access the Portable Document Format ( PDF ) version you must have a PDF reader installed. If you do not already have such a reader, there are numerous PDF readers available for free download or for purchase on the Internet:
2. Seafarer's #1
3. Candidate Document Number
4. Marine Personnel Regulations
Tower C, Place de Ville
8th Floor, 330 Sparks Street
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0N8
To add or change your address, contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 613-991-3135.
Owners of commercial vessels automatically receive Bulletins.