Date (Y-M-D): 1981-12-31
Subject: Recommendations to be Applied to Every Tug which is Employed in Towing Vessels on a Long Line Astern
1 The court of Inquiry into the loss of a towed vessel made recommendations are to be applied to every tug which is employed in towing vessels on a long line astern.
2 These recommendations refer to the strength of the towing winch, the manner in which the towing line is fastened to the towing bridle on the vessel towed, the inspection of the connection between the towing line and the bridle and the tests to which new towing ropes are to be subjected.
3 The following recommendations are to be applied to every tug which is employed in towing vessels on a long line astern;
- the power of the towing winch shall be sufficient to retrieve the tow line under any conditions which are likely to arise;
- the shackle fitted between the towing line and the bridle on the towed vessel shall be fitted with a pin which shall be long enough to screw through the shackle eye and have a screwed nut fitted on the outside of the shackle eye with a hole drilled through the nut and the pin and a cotter pin passed through the hole and secured;
- after the shackle has been connected to the towing line it shall be inspected by the master of the tug; and
- all the gear used for towing including the towing cable and the bridle chains on the towed vessel shall be tested in the presence of a Steamship Inspector or a Surveyor to an approved classification society, and certificates covering the tests shall be carried on board the tug.
- The requirements of paragraph 3.4 shall apply to all new towing cables and bridle chains purchased after the date of this Bulletin. Existing gear should be examined and retained if in serviceable condition but the changes necessary to comply with paragraphs 3.1 and 3.2 should be made within a reasonable period.
Keywords: Questions concerning this bulletin should be addressed to:
2. Towing line
Tower C, Place de Ville
11th Floor, 330 Sparks Street
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0N8
To add or change your address, contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Owners of commercial vessels, registered and licensed, automatically receive Bulletins.