RDIMS No .: 16874308
Date (Y-M-D) : 2020-12-09
This bulletin has been replaced by Ship Safety Bulletin No. 05/2022
This bulletin is to inform you that the validity of marine medical certificates for domestic operations will change from 2 to 5 years. This new policy will come into effect on April 1, 2021.
This bulletin applies to seafarers working on Canadian flagged vessels that operate solely in domestic waters.
What you need to know
Transport Canada is introducing a new domestic marine medical certificate that will be valid for 5 years.
This certificate is only valid on Canadian-flagged vessels, when sailing on a vessel making a:
- voyage in sheltered waters,
- near coastal voyage, Class 2,
- near coastal voyage, Class 1, on the Great Lakes,
- voyage in the waters of the Gulf of St. Lawrence and Cabot Strait, up to 25 nautical miles seaward of a straight line joining Cape Canso at 45° 18.36’N, 60° 56.28’W and Cape Pine at 46° 36.81’N, 53°32.5’W (Map 1),
- voyage in the areas of Queen Charlotte Sound and Hecate Strait, up to 25 nautical miles seaward of a straight line joining Winifred Island at 50° 39’ 40” N, 128° 22’ 00” W, and Kunghit Island at 51° 56’ 37” N, 131° 01’ 52” W (Map 2).
This change doesn’t apply to seafarers that work on vessels that make international voyages. It also doesn’t affect provisional medical certificates issued by a marine medical examiner.
Map 1 - Domestic voyage limits on the Atlantic coast
Map 2 – Domestic voyage limits on the Pacific coast
This new certificate doesn’t apply to seafarers that hold a licence or pilotage certificate. Medical certificates issued under the General Pilotage Regulations (Section 5), are still valid for two years from the day they’re issued.
STCW Certificate of Competency
Seafarers that hold a STCW Certificate of Competency and work on a vessel that makes international voyages will still need to hold a valid marine medical certificate that meets the requirements of section A-I/9 of the Standard for Training, Certification and Watchkeeping Code. These medical certificates remain valid for a maximum of 2 years.
1. Marine medical certificate
2. Domestic marine medical certificate
3. Domestic waters
Questions concerning this Bulletin should be addressed to:
Marine Safety and Security
Tower C, Place de Ville
330 Sparks Street, 11th Floor
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0N8
Contact us at: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Telephone: 1-855-859-3123 (Toll Free).