Reminder - Board of Steamship Inspection Renewal Project
(PDF, 139 KB)
Date ( Y-M-D ) : 2016-11-03
This bulletin reminds Authorized Representatives that they were to submit applications for Marine Technical Review Board (MTRB) decisions to replace Board of Steamship Inspection (BSI) decisions by September 1, 2016.
This is because Transport Canada will not accept BSI decisions as of January 15, 2017 and regulatory requirements under the Canada Shipping Act, 2001 will apply fully to vessels that had BSI decisions unless those requirements have been the subject of an MTRB decision.
Ship Safety Bulletin 07/2015 explained that the Marine Technical Review Board replaced the Board of Steamship Inspection (BSI) when the Canada Shipping Act, 2001 (the Act) came into force on July 1, 2007.
In July 2012, Transport Canada sent a letter to industry to explain that all BSI decisions granted before July 1, 2007 had expired. This is because Section 270 of the Act says that BSI decisions will expire five years after the Act came into force. The letter also assured Authorized Representatives that they would not be penalized during the decision renewal process.
Ship Safety Bulletin 07/2015 also advised that:
- As of January 15, 2017, Transport Canada will not accept Board of Steamship Inspection decisions. The vessel may be subject to enforcement measures if not in compliance with regulations, and the conditions of MTRB decisions in place, if any.
- Transport Canada inspectors (or Recognized Organization surveyors in the case of a delegated vessel) would recommend to Authorized Representatives which Board of Steamship Inspection decisions the Marine Technical Review Board should renew.
- Authorized Representatives of vessels needing renewed Board of Steamship Inspection decisions, were to submit applications for decision renewals no later than September 1st 2016.
Responsibility of the Authorized Representative:
The Authorized Representative is responsible for ensuring the vessel complies with regulations. Where an alternative to a regulatory requirement is desired, the Authorized Representative may apply for a Marine Technical Review Board decision. If granted, the vessel must comply with the conditions described in the decision as they are, in effect, alternative regulatory requirements.
Authorized Representatives should:
- Check there is an MTRB decision in effect for each expired BSI decision that is still required for their vessels(s). To do this, use the Marine Technical Review Query System (http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/4/mtrbq-sridb/eng/decisions)
- If MTRB decisions are required, but not shown in the Marine Technical Review Query System, contact the local Transport Canada Centre to see whether the decision is being processed or an application is required.
For more information contact your local Marine Safety office: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/regions-marine.htm.
- Marine Technical Review Board (MTRB)
- Board of Steamship Inspection (BSI)
- Board Decisions
Questions concerning this Bulletin should be addressed to:
Marine Safety and Security
Tower C, Place de Ville
330 Sparks Street, 11th Floor
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0N8
Contact us at: email@example.com or 1-855-859-3123 (Toll Free).