RDIMS No .: 18449882
Date (Y-M-D) : 2022-03-30
The bulletin is to let you know that:
- Canada has signed a reciprocal arrangement with Ukraine.
- Ukrainian seafarers holding a valid STCW certificateFootnote 1 of competency can now apply online for a Canadian endorsement.
This bulletin applies to:
- owners and operators of Canadian-flagged vessels, and
- seafarers from Ukraine that want a Canadian endorsement.
What you need to know
Seafarers with a valid STCW certificate issued by Ukraine can now apply for a Canadian endorsement. This is similar to reciprocal arrangements Canada has already signed with Australia, France and Norway except:
- The Canadian endorsement will be valid for a period that does not exceed the expiry date on the face of the Ukrainian certificate it endorses; however, the IMO Circular letter No.4232/Add.16 (PDF, 2.88 MB) will be taken into consideration, when determining the expiry date of a Canadian endorsement, for a Ukrainian seafarer who is in possession of an expired certificate of competency.
- The requirement for renewal 6 months before the expiry date, as stated at section 1.6 of the guidance notes on the Transport Canada form Application for a Canadian Endorsement form do not apply.
- Ukrainian seafarers are advised to consult the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website titled, Ukraine immigration measures: Open Work permits for Ukrainians.
Please, note that a Canadian seafarer can seek a Ukrainian recognition of Canadian STCW certificates.
Documents you need to apply
To apply for a Canadian endorsement, please download and follow the instructions contained within the following Transport Canada forms:
- Application for a Canadian endorsement (Form #82-0786)
- Declaration from an Authorized Representative (Form #82-0787)
Also, a Ukrainian seafarer applicant must demonstrate the relevant in-service experience related to the STCW certificate for which Canadian endorsement is sought. In the case that the:
- certificate has not expired, provide the following:
- Copy of seafarer's discharge book and seafarer's testimonials of sea service, or
- A letter from authorized representative, on company letter head, attesting that the seafarer worked while holding that certificate for the company and the length of time.
- certificate has expired, provide a copy of the seafarer's discharge book and seafarer's testimonials of sea service in order to demonstrate that the requirements of IMO Circular letter No.4232/Add.16 (PDF, 2.88 MB) are met.
How to apply
Send your completed application and supporting documents, using one of the following methods:
- email to RecognitionofCertificates-Reconnaissancedesbrevets@tc.gc.ca
- mail to:
Transport Canada, Seafarer Certification (AMSP),
330 Sparks Street, Place de Ville, Tower C,
Ottawa ON K1A 0N5.
1. Reciprocal agreement
3. Canadian endorsement
Questions concerning this Bulletin should be addressed to:
Marine Safety and Security
Tower C, Place de Ville
330 Sparks Street, 11th Floor
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0N8
Contact us at: Email: email@example.com or Telephone: 1-855-859-3123 (Toll Free).