Grade Crossings Regulations: what you need to know

There are about 14,000 public and 9,000 private grade crossings along more than 40,000 kilometres of federally-regulated railway tracks in Canada. Transport Canada's Grade Crossings Regulations (the regulations) help improve safety at these crossings.

On this page

What is a grade crossing?

A grade crossing is an intersection where a road, sidewalk, path or trail crosses railway tracks. Grade crossings are also known as level crossings, railway crossings or train crossings.

What do I need to know?

Under the Grade Crossings Regulations, railway companies, road authorities (provinces, municipalities and band councils) and private authorities (farmers, commercial businesses or private individuals) share responsibility for managing the safety at federally-regulated grade crossings.

How do I know if this applies to me?

A grade crossing can fall under federal or provincial jurisdiction. The regulations apply to federally-regulated grade crossings. To find out if a grade crossing is Federal (F) or Provincial (P), locate your crossing on the grade crossings map. If your grade crossing isn't listed on the map, please contact us.

Public grade crossings

How do I know I have a public grade crossing?

You have a public grade crossing, if railway tracks intersect with a road that is owned, open and maintained by a public authority like a province, municipality or band council, and is used by the public.

For more information see the Public grade crossings page.

Private grade crossings

How do I know I have a private grade crossing?

You have a private grade crossing, if railway tracks intersect with a privately owned road that's owned and used by private parties, like farmers, commercial businesses or private individuals.

For more information see the Private grade crossings page.

What changes were made in November 2021?

The Grade Crossings Regulations use a phased-in approach providing flexibility.  In November 2021, changes were made to the regulations’ compliance deadlines. The compliance timelines have been modified in a manner that prioritizes grade crossings by levels of risk:

  • November 28, 2022 for high-priority grade crossings, and
  • November 28, 2024 for all other grade crossings

Changes were also made to provide relief to some grade crossings by excluding them from certain requirements.

Learn how these amendments could affect you

For more information see the Grade Crossings Regulations page.

Contact us

For general inquiries: Transport Canada Rail Safety

Telephone: 613-998-2985
Toll-free: 1-844-897-RAIL (1-844-897-7245)
Facsimile: 613-990-7767


Transport Canada Regional Offices Contact Information:

Pacific: 604-666-0011
Prairie and Northern: 1-888-463-0521
Ontario: 416-973-9820
Quebec: 514-633-3400
Atlantic: 506-851-7040