This division in Transport Canada issues Recall Notices and receives reports of suspected safety-related defects in vehicles, tires and child car seats, and we recognize the importance of accurate and timely information provided in a courteous manner. In our continuing effort to provide the highest possible level of service, we pledge to:
- Answer the Defect Complaints and Recalls Hot Line within 20 seconds during business hours, which are Monday to Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Eastern Standard Time or Eastern Daylight Time, as applicable, 80% of the time.
- Return voice mail and e-mail messages that are left for staff members by the next business day or sooner, 80% of the time.
- Acknowledge receipt of on-line defect complaints within one hour, 98% of the time.
- Add and update Recall Notices, also referred to as Notices of Defect, to the on-line Road Safety Recalls Database within three business days of receiving notification from the manufacturer, in both the English and French versions, 60% of the time.
- Update the Active Defect Investigations web page and the Deactivated Defect Investigations web page within five business days of opening or closing an investigation, in both the English and French versions, 80% of the time.
- Process "Declaration of Requirement for Air Bag Deactivation" forms within two business days of receipt, 80% of the time.
To report a suspected safety-related defect or to obtain information about a recall or an investigation, call:
- 1-800-333-0510 (toll-free in Canada)
- 819-994-3328 (in the Gatineau-Ottawa area or internationally)
Our telephone service is available Monday to Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Eastern Standard Time or Eastern Daylight Time, as applicable. After hours, please leave a message and we will return your call the next business day.
To report a suspected safety-related defect electronically, you may also fill in our on-line Defect Complaint Form.
Should you wish to comment on the quality of our service or to suggest ways that we could improve it, please send us an e-mail message at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Further information concerning the Defect Investigations and Recalls program may be found on our Defect Investigations and Recalls web page.