This division in Transport Canada is responsible for:
- Documenting and analyzing complaint reports about potential safety defects in vehicles, tires and child car seats;
- When warranted, launching formal defect investigations; and
- When companies issue recalls, updating the Motor Vehicle Safety Recalls Database and conducting recall audits to verify that companies meet regulatory requirements.
We recognize the importance of accurate and timely information provided in a courteous manner. In our continuing effort to provide the highest possible level of service, we pledge to:
- Answer the Defect Complaints and Recalls Hot Line within 2 minutes during business hours, which are Monday to Friday, from 8 am to 4 pm Eastern Time, 80% of the time.
- Return voice mail messages left on the Defect Complaints and Recalls Hot Line and email messages sent to our generic mailbox (firstname.lastname@example.org) by the next business day or sooner, 80% of the time.
- Acknowledge receipt of online defect complaint reports within one hour, 98% of the time.
- Add Notices of Defect and Notices of Non-Compliance, also referred to as Recall Notices, to the online Motor Vehicle Safety Recalls Database within 4 business days of receiving notification from the manufacturer, in both the English and French versions, 60% of the time.
- Update the Active Defect Investigations web page and the Closed Defect Investigations web page within 5 business days of opening or closing an investigation, in both the English and French versions, 80% of the time.
- Process "Declaration of Requirement for Air Bag Deactivation" forms within 2 business days of receipt, 80% of the time.
To report a suspected safety-related defect or to obtain information about a recall or an investigation, call:
- 1-800-333-0510 (toll-free in Canada)
- 819-420-4300 (in the Gatineau-Ottawa area or internationally)
Our telephone service is available Monday to Friday, from 8 am to 4 pm Eastern Time. After hours, please leave a message and we will return your call the next business day.
To report a suspected safety-related defect electronically, you may also fill in our online Defect Complaint Form.
Should you wish to comment on the quality of our service or to suggest ways that we could improve it, please send us an email message at: email@example.com.
Further information concerning the Defect Investigations and Recalls program may be found on our Defects and recalls of vehicles, tires and child car seats web page.