Apply for a private operator registration document

If you are Canadian and you operate one or more private aircraft, you are required to register with Transport Canada. This registration process replaced the private air operator certificate for new operators as of May 28, 2014.

Who must register

If you are a new private operator, you must apply for a private operator registration document. This registers you with Transport Canada and ensures your compliance with aviation regulations.

What you need to know before you start

Private air operations are distinct from commercial air operations. They can be personal or for business. Here are two examples:

  • An individual flies an aircraft for recreation or pleasure.
  • A business operates an aircraft or a fleet of aircraft to transport employees or clients.

The Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs), Part VI, Subpart 4, Division 1 outline the regulations that apply to private air operators in Canada.

Before you submit an application, make sure you know whether your proposed air operation is commercial or private. If it is commercial, you must apply for an Foreign air operator certificates.

How to register

To register as a private air operator:

  1. Fill out the application form.
  1. Submit the form to your Transport Canada regional office.