Aircraft registered in a non-ICAO member state

If you are a commercial air operator registered in a state (country) that has not joined the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), you must get permission before flying to or from a Canadian airport, or through Canadian airspace.

The aviation authority of your State must contact Global Affairs Canada and provide full details of your aircraft’s flight, including:

  • name of operator
  • call sign of the flight
  • type of aircraft
  • aircraft registration
  • seating capacity
  • list of the dangerous goods being carried or the written statement: No dangerous goods are being carried
  • proposed flight routing, including the aircraft’s:
    • last departure point outside Canada
    • first entry point in Canada
    • date and time of arrival at any Canadian airport
    • departures from any Canadian airport
    • places abroad where it picked up or dropped off passengers and freight

The authorities must also submit a written statement that:
The aircraft is airworthy and is being operated under a flight authority which is equivalent to the Certificates of Airworthiness that are issued pursuant to Article 31 of the Convention to ICAO.

Learn about additional procedures on offloading traffic at Canadian airports when you make a technical landing for emergency or abnormal circumstances.