All pilots of drones or “Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems (RPAS)” with a maximum takeoff weight of 250 grams up to and including 25 kilograms must pass an online exam.
You must be:
- 14 years of age or older to take a Small Basic Exam
- 16 years of age or older to take a Small Advanced Exam
What you need to know before you start
Exams are now open. We strongly recommend that you attend a drone flight school before attempting the exam.
Why? The exam covers a lot of new rules you may not know yet.
To fly your drone after June 1, 2019, you must pass this exam.
Flight reviews are conducted by flight reviewers affiliated with drone flight schools.
You will need to choose one of the following secure sign-in options to the Drone Management Portal:
- a Government of Canada login (GCKey), or
- your online banking login (sign-in partner)
If you fly a drone without meeting these requirements, you may be fined. Fines are:
- $1,000 for recreational users
- $5,000 for commercial users