All pilots of drones or “Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems (RPAS)” with a maximum takeoff weight of 250 grams up to and including 25 kilograms must pass an online exam.
You must be:
- 14 years of age or older to take a Small Basic Exam
- 16 years of age or older to take a Small Advanced Exam
What you need to know before you start
We strongly recommend that you attend a drone flight school before attempting the exam. Online exam questions are based on the Knowledge Requirements for Pilots of Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems. However, this document is not a study guide.
Flight reviews are conducted by flight reviewers affiliated with drone flight schools.
You will need to choose one of the following secure sign-in options to the Drone Management Portal:
- a Government of Canada login (Verified.Me), or
- your online banking login (sign-in partner)
If you fly a drone without meeting these requirements, you may be fined. Fines are:
- $1,000 for recreational users
- $5,000 for commercial users