Current status: Closed
Open on June 7, 2022 and will be closed on August 7, 2022.
The Canadian General Standards Board (CGSB) has released the draft of Safety Standard CAN/CGSB-43.147 for a 60-day consultation period. Safety standard CAN/CGSB-43.147 sets out the requirements for designing, manufacturing, maintaining, qualifying, inspecting, marking, selecting and using tank cars. The standard also lays out the requirements for the quality management system and its applicability and the registration of facilities performing manufacture, inspection, maintenance or qualification of tank cars.
This new edition of CAN/CGSB-43.147 will replace Transport Canada standard TP 14877 (which in 2013 had replaced the 2005 edition of CAN/CGSB-43.147). The new edition of CAN/CGSB-43.147 will come into force when it is incorporated by reference within the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations (TDG Regulations) by a later regulatory amendment.
Join in: how to participate
Share your ideas
To obtain a copy of the draft safety standard, please refer to the following CGSB website.
All comments on the standard must be included in the comment form supplied by the CGSB and contain the following information:
- CGSB Reference Number/Title of the Standard (i.e., CGSB-43.147 / “Containers for transport of dangerous goods by rail”)
- affected Clause No. /Subclause No. /Annex (e.g., 3.1)
- affected Paragraph / Figure / Table / Note (e.g., Table 1)
- comment (justification for change)
- proposed change.
The completed comment form must be returned to CGSB at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Phase-out legacy tank cars in dangerous goods toxic-by-inhalation (TIH) service and introducing the “H” delimeter for the newer improved specifications of TIH tank cars.
- Enhanced specifications of Class 113 tank cars in flammable cryogenic liquid service.
- Removed class TC114 as an option for the manufacture of new tank cars.
- Incorporated the requirements of Protective Direction 39.
- Updated the dangerous goods list for consistency with the TDG Regulations and better alignment with the tank car packaging assignments in Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations of the United States (49 CFR).
- Removal of requirements pertaining to ton containers (these will be addressed in the proposed new safety standard CAN/CGSB-43.149).
Beata Hart, Standards Specialist
Canadian General Standards Board (CGSB)