Current status: Closed
Open on November 17, 2021 and will be closed on January 17, 2022.
Transport Canada is proposing to modernize the Railway Employee Qualification Standards Regulations, which has not been updated in over 30 years. Proposed changes to the REQSR are being considered to reflect TC’s and industry’s operational experience gained over the years. These changes will also consider an evolving safety environment, technological advancements and new operating positions, recommendations, guidance and best practices in the rail industry. The intent is to strengthen the current federal railway employee training regime and reinforce TC’s role in ensuring the safety of Canada’s rail networks.
Join in: how to participate
To submit comments and questions, register at Let’s Talk Transportation.
Who is the focus of this consultation
All Canadians are invited to participate in the consultation. Those who may be especially interested in participating include:
- Railway companies
- Railway employees
- Labour representatives
- The Railway Association of Canada
- The Transportation Safety Board
Key questions for discussion
- What are your views, positive or negative, on our proposed approach to training requirements and guidance?
- Are there key issues impacting training and qualification of railway employees that you would like to propose for consideration that were not included in this paper?
- What We Heard Report: Modernizing the Railway Employee Qualification Standards Regulations
- Discussion paper: Training and Qualification Regulation
- Railway Employee Qualification Standards Regulations
- Railway Safety Act
- Transportation 2030: A Strategic Plan for the Future of Transportation in Canada
Tower C, Place de Ville
330 Sparks St
Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0N5