Current status: Closed
Open on 2022-03-14 and closed on 2022-05-13.
Through this consultation, you have the chance to provide feedback on changes that Transport Canada is considering to address vessel engine noise emissions.
Join in: how to participate
Register online at Let’s Talk Transportation and share your comments on our discussion questions or upload a document through the Submissions tab.
Who is the focus of this consultation
Transport Canada wants feedback from the public. We will also be asking for input from stakeholders from the Canadian Marine Advisory Council's Standing Committee on Recreational Boating and the National Recreational Boating Advisory Council. These groups include stakeholders that represent:
- boating safety associations
- police marine units
- accredited course providers
- the Canadian and United States Coast Guards
We are also consulting with industry and police on how to manage vessel noise emissions.
Key questions for discussion
- What do you think about not making any changes, and not further addressing small vessel noise emissions?
- What do you think about updating and changing the Small Vessel Regulations’ definition of a “muffler”?
- What do you think about introducing performance standards for manufacturers to follow? These standards would make sure new vessels are tested to confirm that they don’t exceed certain decibel limits
- What do you think about introducing performance standards for vessel operators to follow? These standards would make sure vessels already in operation don’t exceed certain decibel limits.
- What do you think about introducing performance standards for manufacturers and vessel operators to follow? These standards would make sure vessels don’t exceed certain decibel limits
- Are there any other steps you think should be taken to address vessel engine noise emissions?
Place de Ville, Tower C
330 Sparks Street
Ottawa, ON K1A 0N5