Current status: OPEN
Open on October 23, 2023 and will be closed on December, 22, 2023.
Transport Canada is reviewing the proposed acquisition of Viterra Limited (Viterra) by Bunge Limited (Bunge) in accordance with the Canada Transportation Act. We want your input to help inform the review process.
On August 15, 2023, Viterra and Bunge notified the Minister of Transport that Bunge proposes to acquire Viterra. Bunge is a major U.S.-based grain company, and Viterra is another grain company that has extensive operations in Canada.
On September 26, 2023, the Minister decided that the proposed acquisition raises public interest issues related to national transportation and directed Transport Canada to begin a public interest assessment. The assessment will include input from the Commissioner of Competition, who will look at how the acquisition would impact competition in the transportation and agricultural sectors.
Join in: how to participate
Register online at Let’s Talk Transportation and share your comments on our discussion questions or upload a document through the Submissions tab.
Key questions for discussion
- How do you think the acquisition of Viterra Limited by Bunge Limited would affect the Canadian economy and/or Canadian agricultural sector? Please explain.
- Would you expect the acquisition to have a positive or negative effect on the national transportation system? Please explain.
- In your opinion, should the acquisition be approved, approved with conditions, or disallowed? Why? Please explain.
- Statement by Transport Minister Rodriguez on the proposed acquisition of Viterra Limited by Bunge Limited
- Guidelines for Mergers and Acquisitions involving Transportation Undertakings
330, Sparks St.
Ottawa, ON K1A 0N8