Current status: Closed
Open on August 04, 2022 and will be closed on September 23, 2022.
Transport Canada would like to hear your views on potential changes to the Canada Shipping Act, 2001. We want to hear from Indigenous Peoples and marine stakeholders that are directly involved in or affected by marine shipping. Your feedback will support discussions and decisions on the proposed legislative changes.
As part of the Oceans Protection Plan, Budget 2022 announced the federal government’s intention to strengthen marine safety through proposed changes to the Canada Shipping Act, 2001.
The proposed changes are in four areas:
- Improving how we manage marine emergencies;
- Preparing for and responding to marine incidents that involve hazardous and noxious substances;
- Updating regulatory approaches including to better address local marine safety issues and environmental risks; and
- Ensuring people and companies to follow the rules, and making sure the consequences are appropriate if they do not.
These proposed changes consider comments from Indigenous Peoples, coastal communities, and marine stakeholders in all coastal regions over the past few years.
Join in: how to participate
Share your ideas
Read the discussion paper and register at Let’s Talk Transportation to provide your comments on discussion questions. You can also email email@example.com to provide your comments on discussion questions and share your ideas.
Who is the focus of this consultation
We want to hear from marine stakeholders that are directly involved in or affected by marine shipping, particularly those that could be impacted by marine emergencies, including pollution spills. This could include:
- Indigenous Peoples
- Marine industry and emergency responders
- Provincial, territorial, local governments or agencies
- Coastal communities
- Environmental organizations
Key questions for discussion
- Which proposed changes are important and/or urgent for you?
- How would these proposed changes affect your communities and businesses?
- What are the most important risks or benefits if we make these proposed changes?
Get a copy
For more information, download a copy of the discussion paper Strengthening Marine Safety and Environmental Protection: Potential Amendments to the Canada Shipping Act, 2001.
You can also request a copy by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
330 Sparks Street Ottawa,
Ontario, K1A 0N5