Current status: Closed
Open on August 24, 2022 and will be closed on October 24, 2022.
The Canadian General Standards Board (CGSB) has released the draft of Safety Standard CAN/CGSB-43.149 for a 60-day consultation period. Safety standard CAN/CGSB-43.149 sets out the requirements for designing, manufacturing, maintaining, qualifying, inspecting, marking, selecting, and using ton containers. The standard also lays out the requirements for the quality management system and its applicability, and the registration of facilities performing manufacture, inspection, maintenance, or qualification of ton containers.
This new edition of CAN/CGSB-43.149 will replace Transport Canada standard TP 14877 and it will come into force when it is incorporated by reference within the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations (TDG Regulations) by a later regulatory amendment.
Join in: how to participate
Share your ideas
To obtain a copy of the draft safety standard, please refer to the following CGSB website: Draft documents available for public review - Programs and services - CGSB - PSPC (tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca).
All comments on the standard must be included in the comment form supplied by the CGSB and contain the following information:
- CGSB Reference Number/Title of the Standard (i.e., CGSB-43.149 / “Ton Containers for the Transportation of Dangerous Goods”)
- affected Clause No. /Subclause No. /Annex (e.g., 3.1)
- affected Paragraph / Figure / Table / Note (e.g., Table 1)
- comment (justification for change)
- proposed change
The completed comment form must be returned to CGSB at: email@example.com.
- Updated the list and editions of referenced documents applicable to ton containers
- Added new definitions (e.g., fusible plug, modification) to clarify terms used in the standard
- Revised the dangerous goods list for consistency with the TDG Regulations and better alignment with the ton container packaging assignments in Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations of the United States (49 CFR)
- Incorporated quality management system requirements for ton container manufacturers
- Removed requirements pertaining to tank cars (these will be addressed in the proposed new safety standard. CAN/CGSB-43.147)
Beata Hart, Standards Specialist
Canadian General Standards Board (CGSB)