Sections 1-10

Previous Page | Next Page

Section 1: Registration

Question 1

Section 46 of the Canada Shipping Act, 2001 ( CSA  2001) requires that all vessels (with the exception of those listed below) be registered in either the Canadian Register of Vessels or in the Small Vessel Register. This includes government vessels. No vessel shall be operated without a valid Certificate of Registry if that vessel is required to be registered.

The following vessels are NOT required to be registered:

  1. Vessels used solely for pleasure (pleasure craft may need to be licensed – see the Office of Boating Safety Web site for more information –
  2. Vessels registered in another country.
  3. Sailing vessels and small vessels (including government vessels) fitted with propulsion motors less than 7.5kW (10 horsepower).

Registration of your vessel can be done by one of two methods.

  1. Registration in the Small Vessel Register. For this option all registration documentation must be sent to Ottawa (Transport Canada, Vessel Registration, Marine Safety, 330 Sparks Street, Ottawa, ON K1A 0N8, 1-877-242-8770). This address is indicated on Forms 19 and 20.
  2. The second way to register your vessel is to apply for registration at one of the Ports of Registry in the Canadian Register of Vessels. (Each region has several Ports of Registry – please contact your local Transport Canada office or click here for more details).

Applicable Registration Forms (Small Vessel Register)

  Form 20 Registration Form 3 Statement of Qualification Form 4A or 4B Tonnage Form 14 Authorized Representative Form 19 Registration (Govt. Vessels) Bill of Sale or Affidavit (note 1) Fee Fleet of 2 or more vessels (note 2)
Individual Yes Yes Yes If more than 1 owner No Yes $50 Yes
Company Yes Yes Yes If more than 1 owner No Yes $50 Yes
Federal Government No No Yes No Yes Yes $50 No
Provincial Government No No Yes No Yes Yes $50 No
Municipal Government Yes Yes Yes No No Yes $50 No

Note 1

A ‘Bill of Sale’ is a document attesting to the sale of the vessel from a legally qualified vendor and that you are identified as the purchaser. If you do not have the bill of sale, you must provide an Affidavit/Declaration (a sample can be found on the Registration of Small Commercial Vessels Web site).

Note 2

Provided that all vessels are 5 gross tons or less and all applications are received together, registration of 2 or more vessels is $50 total (see CSA 2001 section 75.01 and 75.02).

For additional information regarding Vessel Registration call 1-877-242-8770.  For any additional documents required, please refer to the Procedures for Registration in Canada at the Transport Canada Web site:


Question 2

Your Certificate of Registry is not valid until the vessel has been marked in accordance with the instructions on the Certificate of Registry.

If your vessel is registered in the Small Vessel Register, it must be marked with the Official Number (C Number, example: C12345AB) in block characters not less than 75 millimetres high and in a colour that is in contrast with the background.  This Registration number must be located on each side of the bow of the vessel, or on a board permanently attached to the vessel as close to the bow as practicable.

If your vessel is registered in the Canadian Register of Vessels, it must be marked with the name of the vessel and Port of Registry in clearly legible letters (Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals) at least 10 centimetres in height, on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull such as the bow and the stern.  The Official Number (example: O.N. 897654) and registered tonnage must be marked on some clearly visible interior part of the hull in block-type Arabic numerals at least 4 centimetres in height. 

Question 3

To ensure that your certificate remains valid, any change(s) to the information shown on the Certificate, including a change of address, must be reported in writing to the Port of Registry within 30 days of the change.

Failure to report may result in the suspension or cancellation of the registry for your vessel and rendering your Certificate of Registry invalid.

Question 4

Once a Certificate of Registry has been issued, a copy of it must be carried on board at all times.

Section 2: Safety Procedures

Note: For more information on developing procedures, and to find templates for these procedures, visit

Question 5

Emergencies happen when least expected. Practicing responses to a variety of emergency situations will enable crewmembers to react quickly and properly to any situation. Consider scenarios applicable to your area of operation.

Question 6

If your vessel does not require a life raft and where the water temperature is less than 15 degrees Celsius, you must develop procedures to protect all persons on board against cold-water shock and hypothermia. For your own practical and legal protection, you must establish and document suitable procedures, based on local conditions or established industry best practices to fulfill this requirement. For more information or to see what happens during cold-water immersion visit or read TP 13822 (available at

Question 7

Gasoline vapours are highly explosive, particularly in confined spaces. Enclosed gasoline engine and fuel tank compartments must have a blower and an underway ventilation system in accordance with the Construction Standards for Small Vessels (TP 1332 chapter 6). Remember that gasoline vapours are heavier than air and will sink to the lowest point.



 Operate blower for 4 minutes and verify blower operation 

Immediately before every start up, the blower must be operated for at least four minutes or the length of time recommended by the vessel manufacturer, whichever is longer.

A notice similar to the one shown here should be posted at the normal operation positions.

Question 8

You must be able to close all engine space openings.

  • Engine spaces protected by gas suppression agents must be gastight to prevent leakage of gas into accommodation & service spaces.
  • The systems must have a manual release device outside the engine space.
  • When activated, all of the fire suppression agent must be released simultaneously.
  • There must be a means to stop all engine space ventilation fans.
  • If the engine space is normally occupied by people, the system cannot be capable of automatic discharge.
  • There must be a way to indicate at the operating position when there has been a release of gas from the system.

Question 9

Before any firefighting is initiated there must be a way to shut off fuel and power to machinery in the engine space.  Failing to shut off fuel and power could result in a serious depletion of fire fighting agent, resulting in a failure to extinguish the fire.

Question 10

Leaking or spilled fuel not only harms the marine environment but is also a fire hazard.  In developing fuel safety procedures you must consider the following:

  • Mooring your vessel securely to prevent spills
  • Shutting off all engines
  • Sending all passengers ashore
  • Putting out all open flames
  • Closing all windows, portholes, hatches and cabin doors
  • Removing portable tanks from the vessel before refuelling
  • Grounding the nozzle against the filler pipe
  • No smoking
  • Turning off electrical switches and power supplies
  • Not using electrical devices such as portable radios or cellular telephones when refuelling
  • Knowing how much fuel your tank can hold and not overfilling it — you have a duty to prevent fuel leaks and spills into your boat’s hull and the water
  • Wiping up spills and disposing of used cloths or towels in an approved container

Section 3: Navigation Equipment

Question 11

All vessels under 12m length overall without a fitted sound-signalling appliance must carry a sound-signalling device. This can be a pea-less whistle, a hand held compressed gas horn or an electric horn.

All vessels over 12m length overall must be fitted with a sound-signalling appliance. This sound-signalling appliance may be a compressed gas or electric horn.

Questions 12 & 13

  Vessels 12-20 in length   Vessel less than 12 metres in length
Masthead light Required. Must be visible for 3 miles. Example
Masthead light An all-round white light is accepted in lieu of the required masthead light and sternlight. Must be visible for 2 miles. Example
Sternlight Required. Must be visible for 2 miles. Sternlight
Sidelights Required. Must be visible for 2 miles Sidelights Required. Must be visible for 1 mile.

"Masthead light" means a white light placed over the fore and aft centreline of the vessel showing an unbroken light of 225 degrees, fixed to show the light from right ahead to 22½ degrees aft of the beam on either side of the vessel.

Note: The masthead light or all-round white light on a power-driven vessel of less than 12 metres in length may be offset from the fore and aft centreline of the vessel if centreline fitting is not practicable, provided that the sidelights are combined in one lantern which shall be carried on the fore and aft centreline of the vessel or located as nearly as practicable in the same fore and aft line as the masthead light or the all-round white light.

"Sidelights" means a green light on the starboard side and a red light on the port side each showing an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 112.5 degrees and so fixed as to show the light from right ahead to 22.5 degrees abaft the beam on its respective side. In a vessel of less than 20 metres in length the sidelights may be combined in one lantern carried on the fore and aft centreline of the vessel.

"Stern light" means a white light placed as nearly as practicable at the stern showing an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 135 degrees and so fixed as to show the light 67.5 degrees from right aft on each side of the vessel.

"All-round light" means a light showing an unbroken light of 360 degrees.

With your vessel documentation there should be information to show the make and rating of the navigation lights. If not, the lights may be marked or stamped with approval information. You should check and make note of this information.

Question 14

If your vessel is less than 20 metres in length or is constructed primarily of non-metallic materials it should be equipped with a radar reflector or other means to enable the vessel’s detection by other vessels navigating by radar.


Question 15

If your vessel is over 8 metres it must be fitted with a compass. This compass should be able to be adjusted and corrected for deviation as well as being capable of being lit for night viewing. If your vessel is not more than 8 metres in length and you navigate within sight of seamarks, you are not required to carry a magnetic compass. However, due diligence and common sense should dictate that even if you are operating in areas within sight of seamarks, given the possibility of restricted visibility, this item should be considered as essential.

Question 16

Every vessel shall be equipped with one non-portable VHF radiotelephone if the ship is of closed construction, more than 8 metres in length or carrying passengers engaged on a voyage of which any part is in a VHF coverage area, or is more than five miles from shore, or is a tow-boat.

Unless the vessel is equipped with two VHF radiotelephones, the VHF radiotelephone shall have dual watch capability if it was installed after April 28, 1996.

A VHF radiotelephone on a vessel shall be capable of transmitting and receiving communications on:

  • The distress and safety frequency of 156.8 MHZ (channel 16);
  • The primary inter-ship safety communication frequency of 156.3 MHZ (channel 6);
  • The bridge-to-bridge communication frequency of 156.65 MHZ (channel 13);
  • The public correspondence frequency specifically assigned for the area in which the ship is navigating; and
  • Any other VHF frequencies that is necessary for safety purposes in the area in which the ship is navigating.

However, a vessel other than a closed construction vessel that does not carry more than six passengers may carry a portable VHF radiotelephone provided that it has a source of energy sufficient for the duration of the voyage.

Section 4: Vessel Manning and Crew Qualifications

Question 17

  Near Coastal, Class 1 NEAR COASTAL, CLASS 2 (NC2) Sheltered Waters
More than 2 nautical miles from shore 2 nautical miles or less from shore
Passenger-Carrying Vessels More than 5 gross tons (GT) Master 150 GT (Domestic)

(if endorsed for limited, contiguous waters)
Limited Master < 60 GT Limited Master < 60 GT Limited Master < 60 GT
Less than or equal to 5 GT and more than 8 metres SVOP (Small Vessel Operator Proficiency) SVOP (Small Vessel Operator Proficiency) SVOP (Small Vessel Operator Proficiency)
More than 6 passengers and no more than 8 metres SVOP (Small Vessel Operator Proficiency) SVOP (Small Vessel Operator Proficiency) SVOP (Small Vessel Operator Proficiency)
No more than  6 passengers and no more than 8 metres SVOP (Small Vessel Operator Proficiency) SVOP (Small Vessel Operator Proficiency) PCOC (Pleasure Craft Operator Card)
Workboats More than 5 GT Master 150 GT (Domestic)

(if endorsed for limited, contiguous waters)
Limited Master < 60 GT Limited Master < 60 GT Limited Master < 60 GT
Less than or equal to 5 GT and more than 8 metres (except tugs) SVOP (Small Vessel Operator Proficiency) SVOP (Small Vessel Operator Proficiency) SVOP (Small Vessel Operator Proficiency)
Less than or equal to 8 metres(except tugs) SVOP (Small Vessel Operator Proficiency) PCOC (Pleasure Craft Operator Card)
Tugs Limited Master < 60 GT Limited Master < 60 GT Limited Master < 60 GT
PCOC (Pleasure Craft Operator Card)
Also Marine Basic First Aid or Provincial/Territorial Recognised First Aid Training.
SVOP (Small Vessel Operator Proficiency)
Also Marine Basic First Aid or Provincial/Territorial Recognised First Aid Training and MED A3.
Limited Master less than 60 GT
Also Marine Basic First Aid and MED A1 for non-passenger vessels and MED A2 for passenger vessels.

Engineering Certificates: Small Vessel Machinery Operator - Restricted is the minimum Marine Engineer Certificate required for passenger vessels operating that have propulsive power from 75 kW to 749 kW (1 hp = 0.746 kW) and do not go beyond a Limited Near Coastal Voyage, Class 2. Not required on vessels of open construction or on vessels fitted with outboard engines.

  • No vessel length or tonnage cut-off
  • Vessel specific (limited to vessel which person is tested on)

For more detailed information, please refer to the Marine Personnel Regulations or contact your local Transport Canada Marine Safety office.

Question 18

Three factors determine the minimum crew required for ordinary operating conditions: vessel size, number of passengers and area of operation. As well, every vessel must have a sufficient crew respond to foreseeable emergency situations.

The crew should be able to respond to the following emergencies on board: fire, man overboard, engine failure, flooding, passenger control, distress calls and launching life rafts. Many of these tasks are required to be done simultaneously, for example: maintaining order and calm among the passengers, sending out distress messages if required, and launching the life raft (if applicable).

Question 19

Before being assigned any duty on board, each member of the crew shall be provided with written instructions that describe the procedures to be followed in order to ensure their competency with:

  • The shipboard equipment specific to the vessel;
  • The operational instructions specific to the vessel;
  • Their assigned regular and emergency duties; and
  • The effective performance of assigned duties vital to safety or to the prevention or mitigation of pollution.

Section 5: Notices

Question 20

Appropriate danger, warning, or caution labels (reference American Boat and Yacht Council ABYC T5 for label layout) written in English and French, should be considered if all of the following four conditions exist:

  • The hazard is associated with the use of the product
  • The hazard is not obvious or readily discoverable by the user
  • The manufacturer knows of the hazard
  • The hazard will exist during normal use or foreseeable misuse

When used, the pictorial signs should normally have a black picture on a white background.

Question 21

From April 29, 2011, a compliance notice must be attached to all new small commercial vessels. The builder, manufacturer, rebuilder or importer of the vessel must also prepare a Declaration of Conformity and give a copy of this declaration to the first owner of the vessel.

Compliance notices are a statement by the builder or importer declaring that the vessel met the construction requirements as they read on the date of construction, manufacture, rebuilding or importation of the vessel.

Check that the Compliance Notice has wording (in English and French) stating that the manufacturer declares that your vessel complied with the non-pleasure craft construction requirements (if the vessel is more than 6 metres), as they read on the day that the construction of the vessel was started or on the day on which it the vessel was imported. If the vessel is not more than 6 metres long, the construction requirements are the same for both pleasure craft and non-pleasure vessels.

The compliance notice will indicate the vessel model, the builder or importer, the category of construction requirements and the design limitations, such as the ISO (International Organization for Standardization) design category for stability (category A, B, C or D).

The Compliance Notice should be fixed in a position where you and your crew can readily see it. It also would be very useful to bring the information contained in the Compliance Notice to the attention of your passengers when conducting your safety briefing.

Section 6: Stability, Safety and Firefighting Equipment

Question 22

Stability is the characteristic of a vessel that helps it stay upright. The Small Vessel Regulations require the owner and operator of a commercial vessel to ensure that the vessel has adequate stability to safety carry out its intended operations.

Vessels 6 metres and under: Acceptable and suitable standards for demonstrating stability evaluation are contained within TP 1332, chapter 4 (available at and may be detailed in the conformity Label/Notice (example shown below).


The manufacturer declares that this vessel complied with the non-pleasure craft construction requirements of the small vessel regulations, as they read on the day on which the construction of the vessel was started or on the day on which it the vessel was imported

This vessel is also suitable for pleasure craft use.

Because it is more difficult for smaller vessels to have a level of stability that will prevent capsizing, the primary requirement is for the vessels to remain afloat when swamped and to provide something to hang on to. This is provided by flotation material being fitted by the manufacturer. These vessels should have a capacity label onboard that states the maximum horsepower, capacity and load.

  1. Does the vessel have a Canadian Capacity Plate (not over 6 metres in length)?
  2. Does it have a CE mark? If so, was it verified using ISO stability standard 12217 or 6185?
  3. If it has no plate or mark, TP 1332 provides formulae for calculating maximum horsepower, capacity and load.

These are rather complex and it is recommended that you contact a Marine Consultant to determine these values.

Vessels greater than 6 metres:

Acceptable and suitable standards for demonstrating stability evaluation on vessels greater than 6m:

Vessel Type Vessel Length Suitable Standard
Monohull vessel More than 6 metres ISO 12217-1 or standards set out in TP 1332 section 5.3
Pontoon vessel More than 6 metres and not more than 8 metres ABYC H-35 or standards set out in TP 1332 section 5.4
More than 6 metres Standards set out in TP 1332 section 5.4
Inflatable or rigid inflatable vessel More than 6 metres and not more than 8 metres ABYC H-28, or ISO 6185-3
More than 8 metres ISO 6185-4
Sailing vessels More than 6 metres ISO 12217-2
Note 1:
For vessels other than a monohull, in addition to the standards listed above, other recommended practices and standards of a marine classification society, government agency or industry association that are recognized by the marine industry for the type of vessel may also be used
Note 2:
Monohull vessels other than inflatable or rigid hull inflatable vessels may have their stability evaluated with the standard TP 7301, instead of the standard ISO 12217-1.
Note 3:
For existing vessels, that is those built on or before March 31, 2005, Transport Canada has produced TP 14619 - Transport Canada Simplified Assessment of Intact Stability & Buoyancy of Small Non-Pleasure Vessels Assessment Guide to help owners and operators move beyond relying on “feel” in assessing their vessels’ stability characteristics.

For new vessels, Transport Canada established minimum stability criteria for new small commercial vessels – those built after March 31, 2005. New vessels must be assessed using the ISO 12217-1 – Small Craft Stability and Buoyancy Assessment and Categorization or STAB 6 of the Stability, Subdivision and Load Line Standards (TP 7301) to determine the maximum wave height and wind speed the vessel can be expected to handle safely given its stability characteristics.

Vessels that have met any of the above standards will have been provided with supporting documentation provided by the boat builder.

If a vessel has been satisfactorily assessed to one of these standards and has not been modified since the assessment was carried out, no additional assessment need be done.

See sections 708 and 709 of the Small Vessel Regulations or call a Transport Canada Centre for details on equivalents.

Question 23

The owner of a vessel shall ensure that the structural strength and watertight integrity of the vessel continue to be adequate for its intended use. For example:

  • Your vessel should meet the requirements of the construction standards (TP 1332, section 3); or
  • Your vessel’s design has been used for a vessel of the same type that was operated for at least five years without a marine occurrence or other event related to a deficiency in its construction or maintenance in an area where the wind and wave conditions are no less severe than those likely to be encountered in the vessel’s intended area of operation; or
  • Your vessel is built to standards approved by the Nordic Boat Standard (for commercial vessels less than 15 metres), the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) or a classification society such as the American Bureau of Shipping (ABS), Lloyd's Register of Shipping (LRS), Bureau Veritas (BV), Det Norske Veritas (DNV) or Germanischer Lloyd (GL).

Question 24

A first aid kit shall be packed in a waterproof case capable of being tightly closed after use and shall be either:

  1. a first aid kit that meets the requirements of the Maritime Occupational Health and Safety Regulations or of provincial regulations governing workers’ compensation (with the addition of a resuscitation face shield and two pairs of examination gloves if the kit does not already contain them); or
  2. a marine emergency first aid kit that contains the following:
  • An up-to-date first aid manual or up-to-date first aid instructions, in English and French
  • 48 doses of analgesic medication of a non-narcotic type
  • Six safety pins or one roll of adhesive first aid tape
  • One pair of bandage scissors or safety scissors
  • One resuscitation face shield
  • Two pairs of examination gloves
  • 10 applications of antiseptic preparations
  • 12 applications of burn preparations
  • 20 adhesive plasters in assorted sizes
  • 10 sterile compression bandages in assorted sizes
  • 4 metres of elastic bandage
  • Two sterile gauze compresses
  • Two triangular bandages
  • A waterproof list of the contents, in English and French.

Question 25


You must be sure that the batteries in your watertight flashlight are fully charged before every trip. Apart from its use as emergency lighting, your watertight flashlight may be your only way to signal for help.

Question 26

Lifejackets come in red, orange or yellow. This makes you much easier to see in the water. Right now there are three Canadian-approved lifejacket types to choose from:
  1. Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) lifejackets meet very high performance standards and are approved for all vessels. They:
  • Will turn you on your back in seconds to keep your face out of the water, even if you are unconscious;
  • Come in two sizes: for those over 32 kg (70 lbs) and those less than 32 kg; and
  • Are available in comfortable and compact inflatable configurations that can be automatically, manually or orally inflated.
  1. Standard Type lifejackets are approved for all vessels, except SOLAS vessels. They:
  • Will turn you on your back to keep your face out of the water, even if you are unconscious; and
  • Come in two sizes: for those less than 40 kg (88 lbs) and those greater than 40 kg.
  1. Small Vessel lifejackets are approved for small vessels. They:
  • Have less flotation than Standard Type lifejackets;
  • Will turn you on your back, but may do so more slowly;
  • Come in two models: keyhole and vest; and
  • Come in three sizes.
Personal Flotation Devices ( PFD s)

Transport Canada will now accept a PFD as the sole flotation device IF it meets the following conditions. The PFD must:

  1. be worn when the Master or Operator deems there is a risk that can be decreased by wearing it;
    Note: If it is an inflatable PFD , it must be worn at all times in an open vessel and when on deck on a vessel of closed construction as required by the Small Vessel Regulations;
  2. be approved by Transport Canada, Canadian Coast Guard or Department of Fisheries and Oceans;
  3. provide a minimum 100 newtons buoyancy unless it is an approved suit or jacket designed to offer thermal protection as well as buoyancy;
  4. be of a highly visible colour (yellow, orange, or red); for inflatable PFD s, it is the internal bladder (the part that pops out when activated) that must be a highly visible colour, not the external cover;
  5. be fitted with retro-reflective tape and a whistle, and (for vessels going beyond the limits of a Near Coastal Voyage, Class 2) a personal locator light; and
be self-righting, unless it is an approved suit or jacket designed to offer thermal protection as well as buoyancy.

Question 27


When the freeboard exceeds 0.5 metres (approximately 20 inches) you will need a re-boarding device. However, your vessel already meets this requirement if it has transom ladders or swim platform ladders. An outboard engine may not be used as a re-boarding device.

Question 28


Fire extinguisher brackets are needed to mount a fire extinguisher securely and ensure that it is accessible. You need to feel confident that in case of fire, an extinguisher is immediately ready for use.

Question 29

Extinguishers for use in accommodation spaces must not contain gas extinguishing agents such as carbon dioxide (CO2), halon or any other gas.

Question 30

A 23 kilogram (kg) fire extinguisher is approximately 50 pounds ( lbs ).

Question 31 & 32

Self explanatory – answer yes or no.

Question 33

Where portable extinguishers are provided for engine compartment firefighting, the vessel shall be equipped with at least 2 portable carbon dioxide (CO2) fire extinguishers containing sufficient quantity of extinguishing agent to flood the engine space.

Check to confirm that the nozzle will fit in the discharge port. The fire extinguisher to be discharged directly into the enclosed engine space is in addition to the existing required fire extinguishers for the vessel. It shall contain at least 1.2 kilograms ( kg ) of CO2 per cubic meter of gross enclosed engine space volume or contain a sufficient quantity of clean agent to provide the same fire fighting protection as CO2. The fire extinguisher must be capable of being discharged in not more than 60 seconds if it contains CO2 or in not more than 10 seconds if it contains a clean agent.

Question 34

The port or provision for the discharge must be clearly labelled to show its purpose so that in the event of an emergency, it can be easily found and accessed.

Question 35

If fitted, the fixed fire suppression system must be certified for marine use and installed as per the manufacturer’s instructions. “Certified for marine use” means that it is listed for marine use by a product certification body or classification society, following accepted fire extinguishing standards such as the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standards.

If a gas other than carbon dioxide (CO2) is used as the fire-extinguishing agent, it must provide at least the same fire fighting protection as CO2. The system must be up to the specifications and standards of NFPA 12 (for CO2 systems), NFPA 2001 (for clean agent systems), NFPA 2010 (for aerosol systems), and installed/maintained by a certified technician. It must be fitted in accordance with the construction standards and maintained as per manufacturer recommendations.

Section 7: Batteries

Question 36

Batteries must be well protected from damage. They must be installed in a dry, well-ventilated area, above the high bilge water level. Any ignition source should be avoided in the vicinity of the batteries as recommended by the manufacturer.

Further safety requirements for batteries:

  • Batteries shall not be tapped for power exceeding the total available voltage.
  • Batteries must be in approved boxes or trays and securely fastened. Pull on the battery to make sure it is held securely. It shall not be able to move more than 1 inch (2.5 centimetres) in any direction.
  • Batteries must be able to withstand inclinations of up to 40° (degrees) without spilling electrolyte and there should be absorbent cloths or pads around the battery to contain any accidental spillage.
  • The battery terminals must be correctly labelled.
  • All wiring, connectors and contacts should be checked. Wire insulation should be intact and contacts should be secure and clean.
  • Connections must not be of the spring tension type (for example, Gator Clips).
  • Metallic fuel lines and fuel system components, within 30 centimetres (12 inches) of a battery, must be shielded with di-electric material.
  • There must be a means to adequately ventilate dangerous and explosive hydrogen gas. Vented batteries cannot be located in accommodation spaces.
  • Battery charging systems must be automatic.

Question 37

Means for adequate ventilation shall be provided to prevent the accumulation of hydrogen from the battery during charging or discharging cycles. Vented batteries shall not be installed in accommodation spaces.

Question 38

Self explanatory – answer yes or no.

Question 39

A battery disconnect switch shall be installed in the positive conductor from each battery or group of batteries, with a cold cranking average rating greater than 800 amperes, except for small vessels less than 8.0 metres (approximately 26 feet 3 inches) in length.

The following devices may be connected to the battery side of the battery switch described here, however, each device shall be provided with circuit protection:

  • Electronic equipment with continuously powered memory;
  • Safety equipment such as bilge pumps, alarms, carbon monoxide detectors, and bilge blowers; and
  • Battery charging equipment.

Battery switches shall be placed in a readily accessible location as close as practicable to the battery, or batteries.

Battery disconnect switches shall be capable of carrying the maximum current of the distribution system including the intermittent load of the starter motor circuit.

Section 8: Watertight Integrity

Question 40

Means shall be provided for positively shutting off underwater penetrations (except wet exhaust systems) and to ensure the watertight integrity of the hull, deck and the superstructure means of closure.


  • Every closure shall be of a strength and design to maintain watertight integrity.
  • Hull penetrations shall be kept to the minimum, consistent with the operational needs of the vessel.
  • Hull penetrations shall have adequate local strength compensation equivalent to the un-pierced structure in which it is located.
  • Openings and penetrations in structures shall be kept to a minimum.
  • Openings and penetrations shall be fitted with a reliable means of closure
  • Closing appliances such as exterior doors, hatches, windows and portlights shall be of marine construction, and fitted with means of securing them.
  • Where practicable hinged doors and hatches shall open outward and be hinged on the forward or outboard side.
  • Windows, portlights, and skylights shall be fitted with safety glass or equivalent material of equal strength.
  • If you intend to operate more than 25 nautical miles from shore, windows, portlights, and skylights shall be mechanically fastened.
  • For vessels whose construction started after April 1, 2005, the standard for watertightness of openings and penetrations in structures is the international standard ISO 12216.
  • For vessels whose construction started after April 1, 2005, cockpits and recesses are to be designated either as "watertight" or as "quick-draining" and they shall comply with the requirements of the international standard ISO 11812.
  • Motor wells shall be designed so that they tend to reverse the flow of any water striking the forward face of the well rather than directing it upward and forward.
  • Motor wells shall be designed so that they have openings of a minimum size for safe operation and are located as high as possible and not lower than the normal motor cut-out in the transom.
  • The motor well has drains fitted that will allow the complete drainage of water within a maximum of five (5) minutes.

The watertightness of all means of closure (under and above waterline) shall be verified regularly as part of the planned maintenance schedule.

Question 41


In areas where there is a risk of fire, the means to shut-off all underwater penetrations shall be made of material that is not susceptible to fire damage.


Section 9: Pollution Prevention

Questions 42 & 43

Canada Shipping Act 2001 section 191: Every person or vessel that discharges a pollutant is liable on summary conviction to a fine of not more than $1,000,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than 18 months, or to both. See also the Vessel Pollution and Dangerous Chemicals Regulations.

Question 44



A toilet fitted on a vessel shall be secured in a manner that ensures its safe operation in any environmental conditions liable to be encountered.

A holding tank shall be constructed:

  • in a manner such that it does not compromise the integrity of the hull;
  • of structurally sound material that prevents the tank contents from leaking;
  • so that the potable water system or other systems cannot become contaminated;
  • to be resistant to corrosion by sewage;
  • with an adequate volume for the ship’s human-rated capacity on a normal voyage;
  • with a discharge connection and piping system for the removal of the tank contents at a sewage reception facility;
  • so that the level of sewage in the tank may be determined without the tank being opened and without contacting or removing any of the tank contents or be equipped with a device that allows the determination to be made; and
  • with a ventilation device that has its outlet located on the exterior of the ship, in a safe location away from ignition and areas usually occupied by people and with a flame screen of non-corrosive material fitted to the vent outlet.

Question 45

See question 42.

Section 10: Electrical Systems

Question 46

In the case of an electrical system of less than 50 volts, it shall meet

  • the requirements of TP 1332 section 8; or
  • the requirements of American Boat and Yacht Council Standards E-10, Storage Batteries, and E-11, AC and DC Electrical Systems on Boats.

Question 47

In the case of an electrical system of 50 volts or more, it shall meet

  • the requirements of American Boat and Yacht Council Standard E-11, AC and DC Electrical Systems on Boats; or
  • the requirements of the recommended practices and standards that are appropriate for the system voltage and that provide a level of safety at least equivalent to that provided by Standard E-11 and TP 127.

Question 48

The marking on electrical equipment, such as ignition systems, motors, pumps, fans, and controllers, shall include the following:

  • Manufacturer
  • Product ID, serial number, type, model
  • Voltage
  • Amperage
  • Wattage
  • Polarity
  • Ignition protection information (if applicable)

Question 49

In respect of an electrical device, “ignition-protected” means that the device is designed and constructed in such a manner that under its design operating conditions:

  • It will not ignite a flammable hydrocarbon mixture surrounding it when an ignition source causes an internal explosion;
  • It is incapable of releasing sufficient electrical or thermal energy to ignite a hydrocarbon mixture; or
  • Its source of ignition is hermetically sealed (airtight).