Port of Victoria

Port of Victoria banner

On this page


Located on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Victoria Harbour is a hub for transportation, commerce, trade, recreation, and tourist activities. It is also home to the Victoria Harbour Water Airport, the busiest of six certified water airports in Canada. Transport Canada owns and manages the Port of Victoria, which spans from the Ogden Point Breakwater to the Selkirk Trestle. Transport Canada also issues the required permits for projects and events, along with leases and licences for other commercial activities that take place within the harbour. While Transport Canada is the owner of the harbour and responsible for the general oversight of the harbour, the marinas and port facilities have been collectively divested over time.

Port of Victoria Traffic Scheme

There are many kinds of boats and vessels that share the Port of Victoria waterways, including ferries, tugs and barges, seaplanes, kayaks, canoes, yachts, tour boats, and recreational vessels. Given this traffic mix, there are rules in place to ensure the safety of both recreational and commercial users. These rules are explained in the Port of Victoria Traffic Scheme found below:

Port of Victoria Traffic Scheme video


Learn about how you can safely travel in the Port of Victoria.

Port of Victoria Traffic Scheme visual explainer


Webpage: Public Port of Victoria Traffic Scheme

Transport Canada Harbour Patrollers are actively involved within the harbour to ensure that rules and restrictions are being followed. They also educate harbour users about the traffic scheme to prevent accidents on the water and provide other assistance as needed.

Recreational activities

Before departing on any recreational activities, it is important to review the Port of Victoria Traffic Scheme and understand what is permitted in and around the Port of Victoria. Sign up for safety notices at the Port of Victoria Safety Notices page.

  • Paddlers (including kayaks, stand-up paddleboards, rowing skulls, etc.)

    Paddlers can launch from several locations throughout the harbour. The north shore of the Middle Harbour is specifically designated for non-motorized vessels only. Looking for a safe and quiet environment for novice paddlers? Check out the sheltered waters around the Upper Harbour and past the Selkirk Trestle.

  • Swimming

    Swimming is not permitted within the limits of the port.

  • Public boat launches

    The only public boat launch in the harbour is at 75 Dallas Road and is operated by the James Bay Anglers Association. There is limited parking at the site and there is a fee for use of the facility.

  • Public moorage options

    While Transport Canada is the owner and operator of the Port of Victoria, the port facilities or marinas located in Victoria Harbour are not owned by Transport Canada. The following organizations can be contacted for moorage and other related inquiries:

    Greater Victoria Harbour Authority Society

    • Causeway Marina
    • Ship Point Marina
    • Wharf Street Marina
    • Johnson Street Marina
    • Ogden Point Terminal

    Contact: 250-383-8326

    Victoria International Marina

    Vessels over 20m (65’) only

    Contact: 778-432-0477

    Coast Hotel and Marina

    Contact: 250-360-1211

    West Bay Marine Village

    Contact: 1-866-937-8229

  • Fishing and crabbing

    Fishing and crabbing are permitted within the port but not in the Small Vessel Traffic Lanes or the Seaplane Takeoff/Landing Areas. Crab traps may only be placed in areas where they do not interfere with port operations. Harbour Patrollers may move or remove traps that are deemed to be a hazard to vessel or aircraft operations. All traps must have an appropriate buoy with the owner’s name and phone number clearly indicated.

  • Recreational drone/remotely piloted aircraft use

    Recreational or hobby use of drones is not permitted within 3 nautical miles of the Victoria Harbour Water Airport. To operate within a controlled airspace, drone pilots must have an advanced remotely piloted aircraft certificate, a drone with the appropriate manufacturer safety declaration, and an authorization form from NAV CANADA.

    Interested in where you can fly your drone in Canada? Check out Transport Canada’s webpage for more information.

Event and project permits

From the annual Canada Day fireworks to rowing regattas and Symphony Splash, the Port of Victoria holds many events that attract thousands of participants and spectators to the harbour each year.

Activities and special projects taking place within the Port must not compromise the safety of participants or the public. Under Transport Canada regulations, event organizers must have a permit authorized by the Victoria Port Manager. Port of Victoria staff work closely with Transport Canada staff to review the proposed activities. Transport Canada will assess potential impacts to marine or aeronautical operations, surrounding communities, and any significant environmental concerns. Looking to host an organized event in the Port of Victoria? Submit an application to hold an event in the harbour (PDF, 277 KB).

Looking to undertake a project in the harbour? Contact the Port of Victoria office by calling the Port Manager at 250-363-3578 or by emailing TC.PAC.TH.PortVictoria-PortVictoria.TC@tc.gc.ca.

Transportation Security Clearance (TSC)

TSC’s are a Transport Canada requirement under the Marine Transportation Security Regulations. The Port of Victoria Office processes TSC applications for those requiring access to the restricted area at Ogden Point. Once the application has been completed online, please make an appointment with the Port Security Officer (250-363-3077) to have your application reviewed and your photo/fingerprints done.

Contact us

Address: 12 Erie St, Victoria BC, V8V 4X5

Phone Number: 250-363-3578, VHF Channel 18A

Office hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Additional contacts

  • Victoria Port Manager: For general port information or to report marine incidents, contact the Victoria Port Manager on VHF channel 18A or at 250-363-3578. 24/7 emergency number: 250-380-8177.
  • Harbour Patrol: Contact VHF 18A during all daylight hours in the spring and summer, and during regular office hours in the fall and winter.
  • Canadian Coast Guard: For a marine emergency call on VHF channel 16 or *16 on a mobile phone.
  • Canada Customs: Clearance dock located on the south side of Middle Harbour at Raymur Point. Telephone: 1-888-226-7277.
  • Johnson Street Tilt Bridge: At northeast of Inner Harbour. Operated by the City of Victoria. Reach the bridge operator on VHF channel 12.

Related links