People travelling from one part of the world to another should have confidence they will not be exposed to the risks conflict zones pose to civilian flight operations.
Through the Safer Skies Initiative, Canada is working with states, international organizations, the civil aviation industry, and the International Civil Aviation Organization, to enhance the level of safety and security for commercial airlines travelling in or near conflict zones.
On this page:
- Conflict Zone Information Office
- Safer Skies Consultative Committee
- Safer Skies Forum
- News releases
- Related links
Conflict Zone Information Office
Transport Canada established the Conflict Zone Information Office to monitor high risk areas and provide guidance to Canadian air carriers operating in those areas. The Conflict Zone Information Office issues airspace notifications to air carriers when risks are deemed too high in a certain airspace. The current list of foreign airspace conflict zone-related notifications can be found here.
Safer Skies Consultative Committee
As part of the Safer Skies Initiative, Canada established the Safer Skies Consultative Committee (SSCC) in July 2020. The Committee brings together subject-matter experts from states, international organizations, and industry, and provides a formal international platform to consolidate discussions on conflict zones in relation to civil aviation.
The Committee meets regularly to share best practices and information, and recommend global standards and guidance on mitigating the risks conflict zones pose to commercial aviation. Together with states and the International Civil Aviation Organization, the Committee advocates on all matters related to conflict zones.
Safer Skies Forum
Making our skies safer requires effort and international collaboration to keep the momentum and dialogue ongoing. The Safer Skies Forum is an annual global event focused on conflict zone risk management. The first Safer Skies Forum took place virtually from December 8-9, 2020.
The second-annual Safer Skies Forum was hosted virtually by Canada and the SSCC on March 29-30, 2022. It brought together 365 expert partners representing over 55 countries and regions around the world, as well as international organizations, and the civil aviation industry. The third-annual Safer Skies Forum will be held in the Netherlands in 2023.
Safer Skies Forum Final Reports
Safer Skies Forum Final Report
Second Safer Skies Forum Report
Safer Skies Commitment Statement
At the first Safer Skies Forum, Canada’s Transport Minister launched the Safer Skies Commitment Statement, which is an international platform to advance the work required to avoid future aviation tragedies in or near conflict zones. To date, the Statement has been endorsed by 19 states and four international organizations.
- March 29, 2022 – Minister Alghabra launches the second Safer Skies Forum
- January 7, 2022 - Government of Canada honours victims on the second National Day of Remembrance for Victims of Air Disasters
- June 18, 2021 - Minister of Transport provides update on Safer Skies Initiative at ICAO Council meeting
- March 1, 2021 - Building a more secure future: Minister of Transport provides update on the Safer Skies Initiative at ICAO Council meeting
- January 8, 2021 - Commemoration of Flight PS752 tragedy
- December 9, 2020 - Minister Garneau endorses the Safer Skies Commitment to aviation safety and security during Safer Skies Forum
- December 7, 2020 - Minister Garneau to address inaugural Safer Skies Forum and call for improved aviation safety over conflict zones
- June 10, 2020 - Minister of Transport addresses ICAO Council meeting on Flight PS752 and Canada’s Safer Skies Strategy
- March 11, 2020 - Minister of Transport advocates for Safer Skies at ICAO Council to improve aviation safety near or over conflict zones
- March 5, 2020 - Minister of Transport outlines Safer Skies Strategy to improve aviation safety over conflict zones
- February 14, 2020 - Building a more secure and prosperous future: Prime Minister attends Munich Security Conference
- March 29, 2022 – Speaking notes for the Minister of Transport, The Honourable Omar Alghabra, Safer Skies Forum opening remarks
- June 18, 2021 - Speaking notes for the Honourable Omar Alghabra, Minister of Transport at the 223rd Session of the ICAO Council
- March 1, 2021 - Speaking notes for The Honourable Omar Alghabra Minister of Transport remarks for intervention in the ICAO Council: Fifth meeting of the 222nd session of the Council ICAO headquarters, Montreal, Canada (Via Zoom)
- December 8, 2020 - Speaking Notes for the Minister of Transport, the Honourable Marc Garneau, at the Safer Skies Forum
- March 11, 2020 - Speaking Notes for The Honourable Marc Garneau Minister of Transport Introduction Remarks for Working Paper to ICAO Council Canada’s WP.15029 ICAO Headquarters, Montreal, Canada
- March 5, 2020 - Speaking Notes for Canada’s Minister of Transport, The Honourable Marc Garneau at the United States Chamber of Commerce Aviation Summit, Washington, D.C.