People travelling from one part of the world to another should have confidence that they will not be exposed to safety and security risks that conflicts pose to civilian flight operations.
Through the Safer Skies Initiative, Canada is working with international organizations, the civil aviation industry, and the International Civil Aviation Organization, to enhance the level of safety and security for commercial airlines travelling in higher risk areas and to prevent future tragedies.
On this page:
- Safer Skies Forum
- Past news releases
- Related links
Safer Skies Forum
The Safer Skies Forum is an international forum focused on conflict zone risk management. It brings together expert partners from countries and regions around the world, international organizations, and the civil aviation industry.
The first Safer Skies Forum took place virtually from December 8-9, 2020. This is intended to become an annual event to keep the momentum and dialogue going. Making our skies safer will require ongoing effort and collaboration.
- Minister Garneau to address inaugural Safer Skies Forum and call for improved aviation safety over conflict zones
- Minister Garneau endorses the Safer Skies Commitment to aviation safety and security during Safer Skies Forum
Safer Skies Commitment Statement
The annual Safer Skies Forums will serve as the founding international platform to advance the actions set forth in the Safer Skies Commitment Statement.
Past news releases
- February 14, 2020 - Building a more secure and prosperous future: Prime Minister attends Munich Security Conference
- March 5, 2020 - Minister of Transport outlines Safer Skies Strategy to improve aviation safety over conflict zones
- March 11, 2020 - Minister of Transport advocates for Safer Skies at ICAO Council to improve aviation safety near or over conflict zones