Get a marine insurance certificate

Apply for a marine insurance certificate online

The online application takes around 20 minutes to complete, depending on the number of certificates you’re applying for. Be sure to have electronic copies of all supporting documents (like your Blue Card) and your payment information before you begin.

You can apply for all the certificates that you need at the same time.

Each document must:

  • have a resolution of at least 300DPI
  • be no bigger than 20MB
  • be in DOCX, DOC, PDF, GIF, JPE, JPEG, TIFF, IMG or PNG format


Type of service fee Fee Will this fee change based on inflation? Can this fee be reimbursed if Transport Canada misses the service standard?
Issuance of a Bunkers Convention certificate $98 No No
Issuance of a Civil Liability Convention certificate $98 No No
Issuance of a Wreck Removal Convention certificate $98 No No

Learn more about the Service Fee Act

Taxes will be applied based on the Canadian residential or business address of the individual or organization that is requesting and paying for the service. Applications from outside of Canada will be taxed as applicable.

How long will it take to process my application?

Once we receive your complete application, it will take us up to 10 business days to issue the certificate of insurance.

How to pay

Once you complete the online application, you’ll be given options along with the total amount you owe. We won’t start processing your request until we receive your payment.

Online (recommended)

If you choose to pay your fees online, you’ll be automatically redirected to the payment site. You can pay fees online via:

  • Credit (VISA, MasterCard, AMEX)
  • Google Pay & Apple Pay


Make cheques payable to the “Receiver General for Canada”, and mail them to:

Marine Insurance Unit
Marine Safety and Security, AMSE
Transport Canada
Place de Ville, Tower C
330 Sparks St
Ottawa, ON K1A 0N8

Please make sure to write your service request number in the memo section of your cheque or include a copy of the email confirmation that you received when you applied online.

Federal departments only

Once you’ve submitted your online application, please complete a Transport Canada Request for an interdepartmental settlement transfer and email it to:

The personal information collected during the application process is governed in accordance with the Privacy Act.

For more information see the Privacy notice statement.

Privacy notice statement

Transport Canada is committed to protecting the privacy rights of individuals and safeguarding the personal information under its control.

How we protect your privacy

The personal information provided on this form is collected under the authority of sections 56 and 74 of the Marine Liability Act and section 25 of the Wreck, Abandoned or Hazardous Vessel Act.

This information is collected for the purpose of issuing marine insurance certificates and in order to identify vessel owners of Canadian and foreign vessels to demonstrate that contracts of insurance satisfy the requirements of international conventions and that the insurance in place is adequate to cover possible oil pollution damage from ships, as well as to monitor and ensure compliance with the Marine Liability and Information Return Regulations and/or the Wreck Removal Convention Certificate Fee Regulations.

All seagoing vessels operating in Canadian waters, including the territorial sea, inland waterways and the exclusive economic zone may require one or more certificates depending on the nature of the vessel:

  • Under the International Convention on Civil Liability for Bunker Oil Pollution Damage, 2001 (Bunkers Convention), vessels of 1,000GT or greater and carrying bunker oil for its propulsion or operation require a Bunkers Certificate.
  • Under the International Convention on Civil Liability for Oil Pollution Damage, 1992 (1992 CLC), vessels capable carrying 2,000 tonnes or more of persistent oil in bulk as cargo require a certificate (i.e. tankers and certain barges).
  • Under the Nairobi International Convention on the Removal of Wrecks, 2007 (Wreck Removal Convention), vessels of 300GT or greater require a Wreck Removal Certificate.

The information collected is described in the Personal Information Bank entitled: Marine Safety Environmental Protection (Bank number TC CWT 001). Personal information collected by TC is protected from disclosure to unauthorized persons and/or agencies subject to the provisions of the Privacy Act. Under the provisions of the Privacy Act, individuals have the right of access to, correction and protection of, their personal information. Instructions for obtaining personal information are provided in Info Source, a copy of which is available in major public and academic libraries or online at Individuals have the right to file a complaint with the Privacy Commissioner of Canada regarding the institution's handling of their personal information.

Any questions, comments, concerns or complaints you have about the Privacy Act and privacy policies related to your certificate should be sent to Transport Canada’s Access to Information and Privacy Coordinator:

Email: ATIP/

Phone: 613-993-6161

Mail: Access to Information and Privacy Coordinator
Place de Ville, Tower C, XMSP
300 Sparks St
Ottawa ON K1A 0N5

If you are not satisfied with our response to your privacy concern, you can contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner by email at or by telephone at 1-800-282-1376.

Personal information will be retained for a minimum of two years, in accordance with the Privacy Act, and for up to seven years following registration.

Who can we share your information with

Information may be disclosed to parties involved in inspection activities, as well as law enforcement agencies for the purpose of carrying out a lawful investigation and enforcing any law of Canada.

What happens if you don’t provide your information

If you do not provide your personal information, a marine insurance certificate cannot be issued in respect of a ship. Failure to carry a valid certificate is an offence under section 131 of the Marine Liability Act and section 110 of the Wreck, Abandoned or Hazardous Vessel Act.

Apply online

If you can’t apply for a certificate online, please email: